Chapter 40 - Grammy Night

March 2nd, 1988
Ariana's POV

-

It was the night of the Grammy's, and I hadn't seen Michael in about three months. Ignoring his calls, moving to a new address, and focusing on myself and my career. I was still healing, and I still cried a lot. But that was the only way I felt better. One day, I'll realize I hadn't cried over him in a long time, but I know that's not happening anytime soon.

Selena also released her song that she had shown me a couple of months ago that was about Michael, it was called Lose You To Love Me, and it was doing really really well. She was also performing tonight, so I couldn't help but wonder what Michael's reaction would be.

I kept Michael out of my mind tonight for the most part, tonight was all about me. I was nominated for three Grammy's, Best Female Pop Album, Best Pop Single, and Best New Artist. This was a big deal for me, I worked so hard for this within the past year.

"Oh my God, Ariana." Tatiana's voice came from behind me as I looked at myself in the mirror backstage, "You look so pretty." She walked up to me admiring my outfit for tonight. I was wearing a big, poofy, red dress that was sleeveless. My hair was straightened and laid down perfectly on my shoulders. I wanted to set an impression on everyone tonight, one nobody will forget, and a beautiful dress is just the start.

"Thank you, I wanted to try something different tonight," I said running my hands down the front of my dress, "You look gorgeous as well, oh my gosh. Turn around!" I told Tatiana. Her hair was styled in her normal big, beautiful curls. She was wearing a long black dress with thin spaghetti straps. The dress hugged her waist perfectly and to finish her look off, her lips were a bright red color with smokey makeup.

"Thank you, Ariana. You know I had to come and support my girl." She wrapped me in a hug.

"Are you sure it's not because it's in your contract with Michael to be here tonight?" I joked, causing us both to bust out laughing.

"It is in the contract, but you know I always will support you." Tatiana said, placing her hands on my shoulders, "I know these past few months have been hard, but girl, you better go out there and walk by Michael and show him what he's missing, and don't even think about looking in his direction, because you know he's already staring!" Tatiana preached, making me laugh more.

"I'm so glad I met you." I told her honestly.

"Oh shut up, you're going to make me cry and ruin my makeup." She laughed, "Come on, let's go sit."

Tatiana and I walked from backstage to find our seats in the arena, I immediately saw Michael sitting on the right side with Quincy. He was wearing a red jacket with buckles on one shoulder, and a golden accent on the front of it, and his hair was tied in a ponytail. I instantly looked away from him when I saw Michael look in my direction. My heart felt like it was going to beat out of my chest after looking at him, he looked happy, and that's okay. I wish him nothing but happiness and success.

Our seats were a row in front of Michael's and towards the left so we weren't too close to him, and that made me feel better, "Michael cannot keep his eyes off of you." Tatiana leaned over and whispered to me.

"Good." I said with a smile and shrugging my shoulders. I tried to erase Michael from my mind and forget that was sitting a couple of seats behind me and waited for the show to start.

-

A few performances had flown by including Whitney Houston, who opened the award show tonight. She was absolutely phenomenal and one of the most gorgeous women I had ever seen. I hadn't seen Selena at all tonight, up until now. She was about to perform, and Michael would be performing right after with Tatiana.

"Here we go," I whispered to myself, hearing music play throughout the auditorium. Tatiana heard me and rubbed my back to comfort me.

Selena's voice echoed through the auditorium with that familiar piano melody that has been playing in my head for months, not in a good way. This song almost felt like it haunted me, it always brought me back to that night I left Michael for good. Selena sounded and looked beautiful; she was wearing a blue, sparkly, long dress that hugged her body tightly in all of the right places. Her hair now had lighter highlights and it was curled and perfectly flowed down her back. I see why Michael was attracted to her; she was stunning.

I suddenly saw Michael stand up from the corner of my eye, immediately drawing my attention towards him. He watched Selena on stage so closely and intently with an almost shocked look on his face. Michael was the only one standing during this performance, so the cameras instantly panned straight over to him, but he didn't care. He continued to watch her closely and didn't take his eyes off of her until Selena was finished singing.

"And now it's goodbye, it's goodbye for us.." Selena brought the microphone away from her lips, instantly earning a huge round of applause from everyone, especially Michael. He was about the loudest one in there, still standing on his feet. Michael switched his eyes over to me quickly and stopped clapping. His eyes filled with sadness as he slowly sat back in his chair.

"What the hell was that about?" Tatiana asked.

"I don't know." I replied looking back at her, "I don't know." I repeated, genuinely confused. How was he sitting here in front of me, cheering on another woman?

"Hey, don't be upset over it okay? It's over now." Tatiana said.

"I know, I know. But did you see the way he reacted? Do you think their dating?"

Tatiana shrugged, "I don't know, and you shouldn't worry about that. You're moving on, remember?"

I nodded, "You're right, I'll stop."

"You ready, Tat?" Michael's voice came from behind us.

"Oh yeah, I almost forgot." Tatiana stood up so she could go get ready to perform with Michael. "Wish me luck!" Tatiana reached down to wrap me in a quick hug.

"Good luck, girl." I said, trying mt best to avoid eye contact with Michael.

"I hope you win tonight." Michael said, placing my hand on my shoulder. I looked up at him, and his eyes looked like he wanted to say more, but he held back.

"Thanks." I said hesitantly. Michael nodded his head before walking backstage with Tatiana. My eyes filled with tears as I watched him walk away, we were really over. And he wasn't fighting for me anymore, that's what made it real.

-

The night soon came to an end, and I walked out out with two Grammy's and I was more than happy. I began 1988 on the best note. I was single, and my music career was off to an amazing start. I felt bad for Michael though, the album I had witnessed him work so hard on earned nothing tonight, and he was visibly heartbroken. I don't hate him, and I wanted this album to succeed just as much as he did. I watched him walk out of that auditorium, avoiding pictures and interviews and jump straight into his truck.

"You okay?" Don asked me, noticing my silence.

"Yeah, it's just now processing." I said, looking out of the window at Michael's familiar black truck.

"What's processing?"

"He's gone." I bit my bottom lip, holding back tears.

That fight that was in him was gone, his eyes didn't light up when he saw me anymore even if we were broken up, he didn't search for me in a crowded room anymore. The Michael I knew and fell in love with was gone.