Chapter 47 - The Truth

Ariana's POV
-
Michael and I were riding in the car together, it was quiet until he reached over and turned on the radio. I had so much I wanted to tell him, and I felt like I was running out of time.

It was clear we both couldn't handle just being friends, the tension and the love between us was too strong to forget about. And I had to say something.

I reached over and turned the radios volume down, Michael looked over at me briefly with a confused look. "What'd you do that for?" He asked, turning his attention back to the road.

"Can I be honest?" I asked, nervous for his reaction.

"Please do."

"I don't wanna go home." I blurted. Michael tried to hide a smile.

"Where do you wanna go then?" He asked, but I knew I had to explain myself further.

"Michael." I said in a more serious tone, and I could immediately see his expression change.

"Ariana, what is it?" He switched his eyes back and forth from the road.

"I don't wanna go home.." I repeated slowly, hoping he'd understand what I'm trying to tell him. I wanted to come right out and say that I missed him and didn't want to feel like I'm losing him again.

Michael looked at me concerned before pulling over and stopping the car, "What are you trying to say right now?"

I took a deep, shaky, breath looking down at my hands, "I don't wanna go home. I wanna be where you are, at all times." I managed to say with shaky breaths.

Michael's shoulders dropped and he sat back further in his seat, "What's the sudden change of heart?"

"Every time we go through this when I say I don't wanna be with you and I just want to be friends, I feel like it causes more pain than anything. I don't feel happy saying that at all. I know deep down that I miss you and you're the only one I see myself with. I've tried to convince myself otherwise, but I can't." I explained to him as best as I could. I was on the verge of tears.

Michael studied my face carefully, "You're joking?"

I shook my head, "I'm being so honest and vulnerable right now. Just say you miss me too."

Michael opened his mouth to speak, "I miss you too. You know I do."

I released a breath I didn't know I was holding, "Okay, that's all I wanted to say."

"Ariana, you're confusing me a lot right now."

I sighed, "I'm confused too." I leaned back in my seat and closed my eyes, "Just don't take me home."

"Okay, I won't." Michael said softly before I could hear him adjust in his seat and the truck pull off. I kept my eyes closed and tried to reflect on what I just told him. This was going to change everything.

It was silent as we drove, I'm sure Michael's mind was racing because mine definitely was.

"What are you thinking right now?" I decided to ask him and open my eyes.

Michael took a deep breath and kept his eyes glued to the road, "Is that really how you feel?"

"Yes. I know it's random and I just blurted it out, but I couldn't hold it in anymore."

Michael stayed quiet for a moment, "I really am sorry, for everything."

"I know you're sorry." I told him.

"We're gonna be ok, right?" He asked nervously.

I took a deep breath, "I hope so, Michael."

It was quiet until we reached our destination, it was a small lake with lots of green grass surrounding it. Dandelions scattered the green grass giving the scenery a pleasant pop of color.

"I come here sometimes, it's quiet and nobody really comes over here." Michael said slipping his seatbelt off.

I unbuckled my seatbelt as well and hopped out of the truck, Michael doing the same, "There's ducks in the lake." I said pointing over to the ducks that floated effortlessly on top of the water.

Michael laughed softly, "Yeah, it's a mom and her babies."

Michael and I walked through the grass together until we found a spot to sit down together, I was still sensitive about talking about mothers and babies, but I know Michael didn't know that so I stayed quiet. Michael sat down directly across from me as I looked down and played with the rings on my fingers.

"Things should be so different right now." I said suddenly without looking up from my hands.

"How so?" Michael asked

"None of this should've happened. We were supposed to be happy." I cried.

Michael immediately rushed to me and wrapped me in his arms, "I'm sorry." He said with a broken voice. I looked up at him to see tears forming in his eyes.

"Do you really think we can make this work? After everything?" I asked him.

He took a deep breath and looked down at me, "It's us. We get through anything."

"This is different though, a lot different."

"And we will figure it out. Differently." Michael replied, making a small smile form onto my lips. I know he really wanted to make this work. I repositioned myself so I was laying in between Michael's legs. He stroked the side of my face with his thumb and kissed the top of my head, "Don't walk away this time, I don't think I'll be able to take it. We're so close to working this out."

"It would break my heart completely to walk away again." I started, "But this can't happen again, Michael.."

"It won't happen again."

I sat up from our position and turned around to look at him, "I'm serious, Michael."

Michael cupped my face into his hands and looked at me with soft eyes, "I'm serious too. Only death will take me away from you."

I blinked a few times with a small smile on my face, "I hate to think about that."

"I know, God forbid. But I want you to know that I'm going to be better for you, no distractions, no girls, no lies, nothing. Just me and you." Michael said to me with a deep look in his eyes.

"Oh Michael," I smiled at him and reached up to caress his cheek, "You're Michael Jackson. Girls are going to chase you regardless. It's up to you what you do about it."

"You're absolutely right, sunshine."

"But I'm not afraid to kick their ass if I have to." I remarked making Michael laugh loudly. He wrapped his arms around me and laid down in the grass.

"God, I love you." He said through his laughs.

A small gasp escaped my lips with his sudden words, I haven't heard him say 'I love you' like that in so long.

"I love you, Michael." I smiled, feeling my mind be at ease.

Finally.