Chapter 14 - Darling Nikki

April 15th, 1987
Ariana's POV
-
It's been about a month now since my incident with Prince. Michael and I ultimately decided not to press charges on him, instead just staying as far as I could away from him. Since that night, I haven't seen Prince. Mostly because Michael has been encouraging me to take a break from the club and focus on writing music, and that's exactly what we did. He helped me with ideas for my upcoming album, and I threw ideas to him. It was like we were a team, just Michael, Quincy, and I. I pretty much lived at Michael's house at this point, Michael didn't want me sleeping alone at my place so he's offered me the guest room to take as my own, but I hadn't made a decision yet. When Quincy found out the news, he was disappointed. But it was almost like he knew something was going to happen, he was one of my biggest supporters after Michael and Janet.

As for the media, everyone knew about Prince and I's break up, it was no longer a secret. And somehow, there were already rumors floating around about Michael and I. It was weird because Michael and I haven't even been spotted out together. Better news, Michael and I's song has been doing great, it was being played everywhere. The radios, record stores, weddings, it was amazing to see.

After a couple of weeks away from the club, I ultimately made the decision to make a brief appearance tonight. My face was healed and I felt like I was in the right state of mind to do so. Michael wasn't very fond of my decision, he and I both know Prince is going to be there but I can't just leave the club, it was my happy place and Michael knew that too.

"Are you sure you wanna do this?" Michael asked me as he sat on the bed. I fixed myself in the mirror before I was pleased with what I saw. My hair flowed down my back, it was rare that I let it hang down but I did something different tonight. I decided to wear a short black leather skirt that reached my mid thigh and a matching black jacket that hung off my shoulders. I decided on red heels just to make the outfit stand out more and a matching red lip.

"Yes, I'm sure. I'm just be announcing the album release date, have a few drinks, and then I'm coming back." I explained to Michael for what seemed the hundredth time tonight. I understood he was just concerned for my safety, and I actually found it attractive to say the least.

Michael sighed before he looked up at me and smirked, "You look amazing." He told me before he gestured at my outfit with his hand.

I smiled, "Thank you,"

"Of course, I'm sending Bill with you just to be sure you're safe alright? You call me if you need anything I'll be right there. I want you to have fun but I also want you be safe." Michael explained further, only making me wonder why he didn't just come along if he was  so concerned.

"Michael, why don't you just come with me? I mean really, I'd be way more comfortable with you by my side anyways." I suggested to him.

He sighed heavily before he stood up and walked up to me, "I really don't wanna take away your light, this is your night, your album."

"That you helped me with, now come on get dressed." I quickly replied. Michael held back a smile, I knew he wanted to go along with me tonight.

-

The ride to the club was short lived, being Michael only lived a few minutes away from the club. During that time, Michael and I discussed what we would do when it was time to enter the club. We decided on walking in holding hands, just to make sure neither of us was getting left behind. Or at least that's how Michael worded it.

We pulled up to the familiar entrance and were noticed right away, fans screamed as they saw the vehicle approach and tried their best to get as close as they could. Bill immediately hopped out of the car along with more security and attempted to move the crowd back to let us in, "You ready?" Michael said to me with a deeper voice than usual. I was taken back a little as he licked his lips, his sunglasses covered his eyes but it drove me crazy. There was just something about him and those glasses. Michael's outfit was a matching correlation with mine, a black tuxedo top with red detailing and matching bottoms. His hair was out of its normal ponytail and laid perfectly on his shoulders.