Chapter 14

(Yuki's POV)

I found myself in the middle of the battlefield.

Pans, spoons, bowls and other cooking utensils covered in burnt chocolate lay almost everywhere.

"What a mess." I sighed and tried to recall how I got myself in this situation.

Nakamura squealed like a little girl in a candy store as she gather ingredients for the chocolate that she will give to Kanji. Tomorrow is Valentine's Day, and girls give chocolates to the boy they like as a tradition.

"Aren't you going to buy something for Midorikawa?" Nakamura asked.

"W-What?? Why would I give him chocolates?"

"It's a perfect time to confess your feelings!" Nakamura exclaimed excitedly.

"It'll be romantic!" Chiharu joined Nakamura.

"What if... What if he reject me?" I mumbled to myself.

"So you really ended up buying nothing?" Nakamura raised an eyebrow at me as we walk outside the store.

"Uhh..." I groaned in reply.

"Here." Nakamura handed me a paper bag.

"You'll find everything you'll need to make chocolates in there." Chiharu told me before I could ask anything.

"It's from the two of us so you better do you best!" Naka winked at me.

"Good luck, Yuki!" Chiharu said.

"Guess I need more than good luck..." I pouted as I eye the mess around me.

"One more time! If it turned out no good I'll take it as a sign that Homare and I can't be together. But if it turned out edible I'll confess to him." I said full of determination.

The next day...

"Yuki?" I heard Chiharu's worried voice called my name.

"What?" I answered, with my head still rested on top of my desk. A gloomy aura surrounds me.

"Are you alright?" She asked.

"I made chocolates till dawn..." I replied weakly.

"And?"

"And..." My voice trailed off.

"Did it came out that bad?" Nakamura asked. "I'm sorry. I should have invited you over and made our chocolates together."

"It's fine really... It's none of your fault anyway." I said.

Silence.

I lifted my head and straighten my body.

"Wanna see it?" I asked with a halfhearted smile.

I did not wait for their reply and took out a small box of chocolate from my bag.

"I-It's..." Nakmura's voice trailed off.

"It's pretty!" Chiharu finished the sentence for Nakamura.

"That the problem! Now I really have to confess to him!" I wailed.

"Aww... Yuki. I think he like you too!" Chiharu encouraged me.

"Yeah! Kanji said that since Homare and you started dating---"

"Hey! We're not dating. We're just hanging out." I cut off Nakamura.

"Isn't it the same?" Nakamura knitted her eyebrows.

"Of course it's not!" I exclaimed.

I found myself standing in front of the gates of Daikanyama High School.

I was waiting for about half an hour and I decided to leave when...

"Yuki?" I heard his voice called my name.

'Oh my! What should I do? Right, I'll just pretend I'm a different person and took my leave...' I thought and started to walk away.

A hand grabbed my hand and stopped my steps.

"You are not pretending that as a different person, are you?" He asked.

I let out a laugh as if I heard a silly joke.

"O-Of course not! Why would I do that?" I asked.

"I wonder..." Homare smirked.

"What are you doing here?" Homare asked.

"Uhh..." I looked at the ground and started salvaging my brain to come up with a good excuse.

"Come." Homare pulled my hand and we started walking away.

"Wait! Where are we going?" I asked.

"You came here to give me chocolates and confess your feelings, right?" Homare asked as we walk.

"Where did you get that idea?" I asked trying to sound innocent.

"Well, that's the only logical explanation I could think of." Homare pointed out.

"If it's not what you came for, I'm listening." He added.

I stopped walking. Homare took a few steps ahead of me before noticing that I was not walking with him anymore.

He stopped on his tracks and turned to face me.

"You're right... As always..." I softly said.

Silence...

I opened my bag and searched for the box of chocolate I worked hard for all night.

"Homare." I started, with the sweetest smile on my face. "I... I really li---"

"I'm sorry." Homare coldly said and turned his back at me.

Those two words... Wiped the smile off my lips. Tears formed in the corner of my eyes. Threatening to fall in no time. The box of chocolate that I held on my hand felt a way lot heavier that it actually weighs falls in the ground in no time.

The heart shape chocolate crumbled to pieces... like my heart. How ironic could I get?