Chapter XV

Chapter 15: Memory: The Silent Princess

When the first rays of the sun peeked from over the horizon, the light-flooded her room, its warmth seeping onto her bed, stirring her. The thick curtains were still drawn across her windows as she opened her eyes.

It was bright in her room, the sunlight streaming in, even with the curtains shut, and the man who had nursed her to sleep with her lullaby was no longer there. She slowly sat up, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes.

She slipped out of her bed and made her way to the windows. She opened the curtains and pushed open the glass windows to let the air in. The sound of birds filled her ears as she leaned on the windowsill, closing her eyes as she pushed her head out the window. She smiled as she felt the wind ruffle her long golden hair and cool her skin. The wind blew her nightgown around as she enjoyed the fresh air.

She inhaled deeply, paying attention to the smell of the flowers and the scent of fresh grass after rainfall. She exhaled before turning to head back into her room. Her smile faded when she saw her father standing in the doorway, but she quickly put that smile back on her face—her father would never know it was fake.

"Zelda."

His voice was loud and deep. He eyed her with a look he gave her so often; it wasn't love. She eyed the stairs leading to the bridge that led to her study, trying to not look at her father. His voice brought her gaze back to him though.

"What are you doing? Why haven't you changed?" The sunlight bounced off his crown and blinded her as he moved. "You are Hyrule's Princess. You do not have time for such leisure activities! You have a duty, do not forget it!"

"Yes, father. Sorry father. It won't happen again." The words came out of her mouth, these sentences were ones she said almost every day. The 'it won't happen again' was starting to lose its effect. She'd have to think of something to replace it.

"I've heard that before. Hurry up and get changed. I await you in the throne room."

Her hands balled in tight fists as her father left and the guards pushed her doors shut. She sighed a long sigh of frustration before grabbing her royal gown and tiara. She changed quickly and elegantly made her way down to the throne room. She passed Tech's room and saw him tinkering away on one of his projects, in his own little world. The King would get him soon probably.

The King was her father, but she felt like he was more like a King to her...his love for her was never expressed, or he had some weird way of showing it. He has been more distant since her mother died when she was six, but he acted coldly towards her when she turned eight and her training began.

He took away her toys and her friends. He even took away Terrako, a little guardian friend who kept her company and put her to sleep. He called them all 'distractions' and would not take 'no' for an answer. She longed for the day she felt like she could call him 'father' again.

Her heart was heavy as she sat down on her throne, ready for the day. The governor meeting was the worst.

"Zelda...we are worried you may not be fit to rule...due to your anger issues and not being able to awaken this 'power'," one of the board members said.

"If you ask me, this power you speak of should be easy to awaken! Your mother awakened it very quickly!" The governor said.

"With all due respect, I am trying my hardest to awaken this power, but the Goddess simply isn't answering my calls," Zelda said.

"Well, maybe she thinks you're pathetic. Maybe she thinks a girl like you couldn't possibly deserve such power. Maybe she thinks you'll turn on us! Or maybe...Maybe it's not the Goddess at all! Maybe it's you! Maybe you have been slacking off and are just pretending that you are working 'so hard'!" The governor said.