𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 1: Norm

≿━━━━༺❀༻━━━━≾

*Slap

The sound resonated along the halls of the old walls of Shuilian Cave. Hues of yellow, greens and blues lighting the area seemed grey and darker, the background merely serving as a merciful interjection as the heavy atmosphere continued on.

The ones in the room were occupied by none other than the immortal Great Sage, Equal to Heaven, Monkey King Sun Wukong, and the intruders naming MK, his successor; Six-Eared Macaque, who's on a currently neutral standing; and then the woman who was supposedly dead and was currently haunting him with her mere presence.

No one uttered a word.

They couldn't.

Not as they began hearing the woman sob as tears started streaming down her face ...

____________________
______________
__________
______
___
_

Two months ago...

"Order up!" Piggy handed the bowl to his assistant and she eagerly left to serve their customer.

The business is booming as usual, attracting many people at the delectable aroma coming from Pigsy's Noodle Shop.

Just three days after things went back to normal, three days after Monkey King returned from the Nether, all things became as smooth sailing as ever. Xiu especially, was back on her toes with a smile on her charming features, no doubt the most thrilled of getting over her entire problems and worries altogether.

She can finally rest and seize the opportunity of living like any other. And without the curse holding her to a timely death bed, she couldn't wait to spend the rest of her time off with the golden furred simian— who's being surprisingly quiet despite the good news over everyone's heads.

"Back for more, Pigsy!" MK runs in with his headphones on his ears, making his entrance loud enough to pop an irk vein out on the cook.

"Kid! Take off your damn headphones, will ya!" he packs up the new orders on the counter for the delivery boy, "You got twelve orders on the outskirts, make sure you count the bill before taking off!"

"Alright, alright, I hear you, Pigsy," he goes to collect the bags, stopping to turn to his jolly co-worker, "Xiu, Mei and I are gonna hit the arcade later. Wanna come with us?" Although she's an adult woman who probably has more to do on her plate, she can't help but try to fit in with the people around her. It felt like she needed to make it up for them somehow, and Xiu had been doing a great job at doing that ever since she came to her senses.

"Sure thing!" she replies, balancing the stack of bowls on top of her head and tray.

Xiu held the enemy at gun point and shot a few times until the screen showed 'Level Complete', earning her third to the highest score on the game.

"Way to go, girl! You nearly beat MK by three points," Mei proudly slings an arm around the woman.

"No fair! You probably had already used a gun throughout your lifetimes. That's cheating," the boy slumps his face on the buttons, tiredness overlapping his usually hyper character.

She held her hands up, "I seriously haven't. I don't know about the 500 year void, but this is the only lifetime I have ever been good at aiming on long range."

"That's alright. You and the Monkey King are the ultimate masters of close combat range fights," Mei mimicked the movements of the dual blade wielder, "Long range shooting is second at best in my opinion."

"Which reminds me," MK perks up in complete wonder, "Monkey King has been acting... a little different lately, don't you think?"

The trio barely dodges the looming topic with fun and games, but they ultimately cared for everyone around them. Xiu was exceptionally worried for him, she hadn't heard a peep or news even from his own successor after bidding them a quick goodbye three days ago.

"I just... want to be alone for a few days. With the whole Netherworld adventure down below, it just... drained me, you know?"

She understood that he wanted to recuperate, but this is Sun Wukong they're talking about! Nothing in his deepest darkest adventures did he ever chose to shut himself up. Sure, after the whole DBK fiasco 500 or so years ago— and adding Xiu's situation on the list of reasons—, he decided to retire and live back at Flower Fruit Mountain. But he never really secluded himself. He still went out and be the perky immortal who observes everyone in Megapolis.

At least, that's how MK wanted to assume it.

"I'm sure he's just tired," Xiu chuckled, though she lacked the confidence to assure even herself, "Besides, he might've seen some weird things in the Netherworld. It's better to let him have his space for a while."

The boy scratches the back of his head, "I don't know... He doesn't let me in the cave at all."

The two frowned suspiciously on the new information. "He locked you out?" asks Mei.

"He never does that... I always had access to the cave since the beginning. Now I just practice outside with the other monkeys, but I certainly hear a lot of noise inside."

Xiu had access to the cave as well, does that mean he locked her out as well?

"If he has a problem, wouldn't it be better for you to go talk to him, Xiu?" he asked with hopeful eyes. Technically, she's his girlfriend, nothing had changed on that fact. If he's going to listen to anyone, then it must be from her.

Unfortunately, she still have a shift tomorrow. Xiu would've rushed over there now if it weren't for that.

Just one more day, and then she'll go there.

"I'll go on the day off. Might as well have a picnic out in the open once I got him out of his cave," she smiles.

"Aww man, looks like I can't come with," Mei feigned a dejected sigh, "I mean— the mentor, his student, and his girlfriend, all in a little picnic talking about stuff only you three know. Surely there's no more room for outsiders like me."

Xiu laughs at her antics and slings her arm around the young woman, "The more the merrier. You're welcome to join us, Mei."

≿━━━━༺❀༻━━━━≾