𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 15: Stranger

≿━━━━༺❀༻━━━━≾

"I apologize for bothering you, miss, but I admit I'm a little bit lost and I was hoping that you might be able to help me," he says. "Do you perhaps know where I can find this so-called Pigsy's Noodle Shop? I was supposed to go there since it's what was required of me, but as I already am running late on an errand, I figured this place was would be a good alternative."

Xiu drew out a small smile, "I know where it is, actually. You've taken a wrong turn if you ended up so far from there." She brought out her phone and searched it on the maps, the dot showing where they currently are, and where the shop is at. "If you just follow the directions and go past the two bridges here and here, you'll be able to come across it eventually."

He leaned down, his eyes squinting at the small screen, "Yes, I see, how foolish of me to make that mistake," he chuckled.

"It's fine. It seems like you're not from around here anyway."

"That I am," the lion nodded. The woman glanced to the directions of the restrooms, expecting him to be in his merry way already, but his conversation doesn't end there. "My name is Azure. May I know yours, my lady?"

'My lady?' she mentally cringed at the effort to have a closure with her. Nevertheless, Xiu aimed to be kind today and shrugged off the unsettling feeling in her stomach, "Ying. My family name, that is."

"Oh, of course, Miss Ying. Sorry if I'm making you uncomfortable. I'm simply waiting for my order now, and there aren't much seats available left to occupy. I hope you don't mind."

Her eyes scanned the other tables, and all of them are full. But surely he can squeeze in with some who only had two people in it, though his size would be a problem for them.

"So, Megapolis," he started, "I once heard of a story pertaining its history about a legendary immortal. Truly magnificent. I wanted to come here and see what it's all about, only to find a bustling city with numerous businesses. It's impressive, but not as impressive as the Lantern City, but just as full of life."

"I know. It's one of the best cities there is." And its no small compliment due to its advance technologies and large population. Even the events held by both cities were spectacular and pleasing for entertainment.

"Were you born in this city by any chance?"

"... No. I moved here."

He nodded, "Job opportunities I assume?"

"It's way better. Plus, I have more freedom here."

"Freedom..." Azure hummed for a few seconds, gentle fingers rubbing his chin, "Perhaps that too would be a suitable benefit. Freedom of choice, freedom of time, to do things you wouldn't have the leisure to do with others, or freedom to love if that comes to the equation. It would seem like you have your life completely managed."

"You think?" Xiu couldn't help the sarcasm in her tone as she knew how much of a mess she must've looked by now. Why would anyone assume she had it figured out? And other than that, she wonder what was taking MK so long?

"Certainly. Or is it that you're having a hard time recently?"

She glanced up at him, trying to figure out why he's being so... intuitive. "Yeah, you could say that."

"Friends? Family? Lover?" were the options he pondered for her.

"What does it matter?" she shook her head, "Thinking of it won't solve anything. He's already made up his mind."

"Stubborn minds tend to be the most difficult to handle, especially when one doesn't wish for people to get near and persuade an alternative solution. Maybe if you give it time, he'll see what it means to choose what he chose, and maybe then he'd listen to reason."

"Right..." as if a stranger would know how stubborn that simian is. The waiter handed over her and MK's order and placed it on the table, and knowing who she was with earlier, the waiter gave the lion a wary glance before going back towards the kitchen.

Azure's smile widens, "If I may stray from our topic, I'm rather intrigued by the latest news pertaining a wielder of a certain cudgel. That cudgel is from an immortal named Sun Wukong, wasn't it?"

Her heart stops, either from the mentioned name or the fact that this guy, Azure, is holding out this conversation with her. "Sorry, I don't catch on to the news lately."

"There's a new hero in town, though I don't recognize who that one is. I'm more interested in the previous wielder who's- in actual fact- a great Immortal equal to the heavens. Perhaps you've seen him at some point?"

Xiu stayed still as she grabbed something inside her jacket, setting it to a thousand volts, "No, I haven't." Azure stared at her just as she was, each waiting for a sign of waver in their gazes. The woman still doesn't know his intentions, but not all are necessarily bad, it was just the way he delivered himself that she is reluctant to pin him as a threat.

If this is similar to when Macaque kidnapped her, she'd have no problem defending herself anymore. Hundreds of years of martial arts are hammered down on her present self with an added guidance of the Six-Earred Macaque, the least she can do was escape with a few scratches, and MK is nearby so he'd get to help her as soon as she screams out.

He hummed, tension leaving his large figure, "I guess he's not as boisterous as he was before. Too bad, I was looking forward to meeting him."

This doesn't put away her caution, but it was enough to make her grip loosen on the taser. "Why? What's your purpose in meeting him?"

Azure chuckled deeply, a lingering sorrow flashing over his eyes at the nostalgic memories. Then he looks at her and calmly stated, "To finish what was started." Something caught his attention and he instantly leaves the seat, "It was nice meeting you, Miss Ying. I enjoyed the company. Hopefully we'll see each other again sometime."

Xiu kept her gaze straight as he left, hoping that he was seriously leaving her sights without a fuss. Once it was a good thirty seconds later, MK came and took his place, stars shining in his eyes at the food on the table.

"Can we dig in now?" he asks with drool on the corner of his mouth.

"Go ahead, I'm in no rush," she let the young man stuff his face while she watches him, the food no longer as appetizing for her after that weird encounter.

And strange thing was, he didn't even take any order that he was supposedly been waiting for.

≿━━━━༺❀༻━━━━≾