𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 16: Changing

≿━━━━༺❀༻━━━━≾

Just because she started going out a lot more often now doesn't mean it was better for her mental welfare. Whatever she did, whoever she talked to, Xiu would still end up like a sad puddle in the end of the day, withdrawn and lifeless. Although there are days that she was able to pull through, the woman still couldn't stop the tear shedding no matter what happens around her.

Most of the days were caused by recalling a certain memory, while some would just be a flash of his face or a constant echo of his voice, it wasn't just a simple longing now. Xiu thinks she might become obsessed.

The woman let the bottle of alcohol fall off the bed, the fifth out of seven she bought to enjoy for herself. She was certainly a drunkard in her past life as she could now enjoy it without much trouble for its bitter taste, although Ying Xiu's physique has a lower tolerance to alcohol, so her unsteady vision kept switching to the unlit bulb on the ceiling to the corners of the room where the shadows are much darker.

The phone rang from her nightstand from a number that she hadn't seen in months. She stared at it as she calmed her thoughts, raising suspicion for herself wouldn't be the best idea when it comes to them. Her hand reaches for it after subduing her sobs and opens to answer the call.

"Hello?" her voice slightly cheery to cover her somber state.

"Why hello, darling!" says a female voice on the other end, "You haven't called in days, I was beginning to worry that you've forgotten about us."

Xiu chuckles, "Of course not, Mum. But it's been so long hasn't it? I think it's been a year. Sorry I haven't called, things started coming up one after another so... so I kinda had to manage those first. I wouldn't wanna worry you."

"Goodness, a year?! Honey, we've been far too busy haven't we? Good thing we called her instead," says another male voice over the phone.

"Hey, Pop."

"How's our little princess fairing? Tell us the truth, did anyone bully you or anything? We're not passing by over there since... you know... technologies these days." She can even imagine his eye roll as he say that.

Her hand touched a book she had read earlier that day, a series of newfound emotions forming inside of her. "It's fine. I'm fine," her voice got quieter on the end, suddenly not feeling like covering up her insincerity, but not so much that she'd tremble. Among the problems she was facing, her family's is the one that strikes her deep at the moment.

"You don't sound fine to me."

"Of course, she isn't! She's so far away from home!"

"Both of you should really hold those tongues, we all know that Xiu will eventually leave to pave her own path."

"Uncles," Xiu chuckles and gets more comfortable on the bed. The sound of her three uncle's voices had made it a little better for a home call, she missed those three who always spoiled her to bits as soon as she was adopted into the family. They never ceased to bring a smile out of her, even as small as she can manage at the moment's hesitance.

"You better not be starving yourself!"

"I'm not. How are all of you over there?"

"All's same. Your Mum and Pop are always working us to the bone."

"And is there a problem with that?" asks her adopted father.

"At least give us a vacation! We wanna see our little Xiu!"

"I'm not even little!" Xiu argues.

"You are always our darling girl," says her adoptive mother. "When are you gonna visit home?"