Chapter 17

Honeyfrost spent the rest of the night thinking about Flamewing and their conversation. Should I have said that? Honeyfrost worriedly thought, which kept her up all night, and not getting any sleep. She woke up the next morning, very tired. Honeyfrost could barely stay awake through hunting patrols. So when Willowfog returned with the bad news, Honeyfrost wasn't ready. Honeyfrost was sorting through the fresh-kill pile when Willowfog and her patrol came rushing through the barrier, breathing heavily. "What happened?" Rainshine, the deputy, asked, coming out of the leader's den, looking concerned. "Tall... Tallmist... died..." Willowfog panted. "WHAT?!" a voice sounded out. "WHERE IS HE?!" Marigoldfall yelled, pushing her way through the crowd. Willowfog's patrol parted through the middle to reveal a mangled body. Everybody gasped in horror. "No... Tallmist..." Marigoldfall sobbed quietly. Willowfog had a tear trickling down her face as well. Tallmist was Marigodfall's and Willowfog's littermate. That night, they had a vigil for Tallmist. Willowfog explained that they had come across a mysterious creature that was gray, but it had a fox's ears and a lithe body. Tallmist had been attacked by one and killed brutally. Quailstar had promised her that he would send out a patrol to see if the other clans had seen the creature. Honeyfrost was terrified that the animal would come back and kill more of her clanmates, and the next moment, Flamewing was there, comforting her. "Are you okay Honeyfrost? You seem a little shaken." Flamewing asked, concern flooding his face. "Y-yeah, I'm okay." Honeyfrost stuttered. Why was her heart beating so fast? Behind Flamewing, she could see Hawkwhisker standing there, glaring intensively at Flamewing, as if he was scared that she would choose Flamewing over him. "Excuse me please," Honeyfrost said, excusing herself from the awkwardness. She met up with Hawkwhisker outside, the sky showing droplets of rain falling, "What's up with you and Flamewing?" Hawkwhisker demanded. "Nothing," Honeyfrost shrugged, "He's just looking out for me." "Whatever," Hawkwhisker said as he stalked away.

Hawkwhisker's voice seemed to ring in her head. "Whatever," Hawkwhisker had said. Panic filled Honeyfrost, What if she had lost him forever? What would happen to her next? She feared the worst. 

The next morning, Honeyfrost was afraid to talk to Hawkwhisker or Flamewing. She made an excuse of not feeling well to get off of patrols to avoid them both. "You look fine Honeyfrost, you should be able to get back to work," Shadesong said. "No!- I mean..." Honeyfrost stopped. "What?" Shadesong asked. "Erm, nothing," Honeyfrost lied. "Well, ok..." Shadesong replied, slinking back into the shadows and tending to her herbs. Honeyfrost sighed deeply, and padded into camp.