Chapter 21

Shadowwing was not happy that FogClan was attacking them yet again. It had been the third time they had done this, and by now, she was pretty sure all of ShadeClan was used to it. Suddenly, she was hit by a blow on her head. Shadowwing turned around to see Aspenflame, of the FogClan warriors. She returned it with a slice across his muzzle. "Ow!" Aspenflame yelped. He reared up and ran with his tail behind his legs. Shadowwing scoffed, "Coward,". What she didn't know was that Flamesong, Aspenflame's brother, was actually behind her. Flamesong slashed at her stomach, and she gritted her teeth in pain. She gathered her strength and grabbed Flamesong by the tail. Flamesong yowled in pain as he fled. Yes! Shadowwing thought happily, but that moment didn't last long because Duskstar suddenly yelled out, "ShadeClan! Retreat!" What? Why? Shadowwing was confused, but she did what Duskstar said, and ran back.

"Duskstar, what happened?" Shadowwing asked, concerned. Duskstar solemnly stood aside to reveal the limp body of his mate, Sunnyheart. Shadowwing gasped in horror, "We have to bury her!" Duskstar nodded sadly. A few warriors came to drag her and bury her beneath the earth. Shadowwing stood beside her clanmates to pay their respects. When it was Shadowwing's turn, she said, "She was a great warrior, and no one could ever replace her," As they stood vigil for Sunnyheart, Shadowwing wondered helplessly, How many clanmates will I lose due to FogClan?