Chapter 19

Redpaw stared in horror as figures emerged from earth in wisps of smoke and dust. He tried to back away and found himself passing through one of them. He hacked and coughed from the exposure to particles in the air. Redpaw, one of them whispered eerily into his ear. Redpaw shuddered. What's happening? Redpaw thought, his pulse racing. Redpaw, the voice said again. "Hello?" Redpaw replied, his voice hushed. Come with us, another one of them said, stepping closer. Instead, Redpaw ran as fast as his legs would carry, him, all the way back to camp. "Redpaw? You're back." Dustpaw said from the apprentice's den. "Come in!" As Redpaw settled into the den. "What were you doing out there?" "Um, enjoying the rain," Redpaw lied. "Sure," Dustpaw replied. 

In the morning, Redpaw awoke to a sunny day. That's weird, wasn't it just raining yesterday? He was still petrified from last night's events. Redpaw tried to get over it, but it seemed to be venomous, the thought's poison spreading up his brain. Had those cats come to him for a reason? No, they couldn't have, Redpaw shook his head. I'm not special, unlike some cats, Redpaw glanced briefly at Dawnpaw, who was getting ready for her warrior ceremony in a few minutes. Redpaw sighed heavily. A yowl from Stagstar broke the silence, "Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather around the Giant Rock!" Three heads poked out from the nursery along with their mother, Sunflight. The elders strained their necks to hear what would happen next. Everyone else scrambled to huddle around the Giant Rock. Stagstar continued, "We are gathered here today to honor the making of a new warrior," Redpaw's clanmates chattered excitedly. "Dawnpaw, come here," Stagstar said to Dawnpaw. "Burntflame, is Dawnpaw ready?" Burntflame nodded, "Yes, she is," Dawnpaw stepped forward and touched her nose to Stagstar's shoulder, and Stagstar touched his nose to her head, "From this day on, you will be known as Dawnfall. LightningClan honors your bravery and selflessness." Everyone, including Redpaw, cheered, "Dawnfall! Dawnfall! Dawnfall!" As the meeting ceased to an end, Redpaw couldn't help feeling jealous of his sister, Why does she get to have her warrior name? I worked twice as hard as her, but I still don't get respect! What do I need to do to get my warrior name?