4

"Why do we have to go?"

"Because they are bad guys, remember?" I try to convince Caleb to leave but he's being really difficult.

"But they don't seem like bad guys."

"Well they are, they want to hurt me and many others."

I take a hold of his hand and drag him to the single window in my room. "Remember to be quiet."

He nods and I try to open the window. It's locked.

"Shit."

I mumble to myself.

The only way to get this window open is by breaking it and that will make a loud noise. But if I don't do it we won't get out of this place and will eventually die. They don't care about us. No, they would rather see us dead. We are here still breathing because they need me. If that's even the only reason.

And I just can't let that happen. I just can't.

"Give me that vase."

I nod towards a small table with flowers on top of it.

Pretty flowers.

It's night so most of them should be asleep. So when I break this, maybe they won't make it in time to catch us.

God, please don't let them catch us.

"Here." Caleb whispers.

I take the vase from his hands with my own. They are shaking so badly it's hard to hold the thing.

"Before I do this, I need you to be aware of something important,"

When he nods I continue. "The drop will hurt but I need you to be very quiet and when you land down I need you to run away, run as fast as you can and don't look back."

He looks alarmed now but still nods like the brave boy he is.

"I'm so proud of you Caleb."

I caress his cheek with my finger.

Then I walk back. Just to make enough room to throw it with the right amount of force.

"Get back Caleb."

This can go so wrong in many ways. I don't care if I don't make it out Caleb is all that matters to me.

I shut my eyes and take a couple of deep breaths before opening them. I raise my hand and throw the vase with all the power in me and right when it hits the window, it shatters into hundreds of tiny pieces.

"Go!" I shout at Caleb as alarms begin to ring loudly all around the house. He hesitates before jumping down just like I had instructed before this chaos.

I jump right after him, groaning at the pain that aches all over my body, making it challenging to stand up.

"Camila!" I hear Caleb shouting and that's when I notice guards running towards me full speed. "Caleb run, don't stop running!"