008. nelson's sparrow

Bedelia sits in the passenger seat as Spencer drives up to Gideon's cabin. She consistently sends concerned glances to her husband who has been silent the whole time.

Spencer parks, turning the car off. Bedelia looks over at him, her heart aching as she watches him attempt to prepare himself for going inside.

"Spence." She quietly calls, rubbing his leg. "I'm right here." She assures.

Spencer gives the slightest of nods. He get out, Bedelia quickly following.

Bedelia goes up the few steps, turning around once she realizes Spencer isn't by her side anymore, the man frozen in his spot.

"Come on." Bedelia whispers, holding her hand out to him. Spencer reaches out, Bedelia not missing how his hand shakes before he intertwines their fingers. She gently squeezes his hands, leading him inside, allowing him to still walk at the pace he wants.

They go inside, everybody but Penelope and Derek already there. Bedelia looks at the covered body that lies on the floor.

Spencer holds his cries in as he glances between a few team members and the body. Bedelia tightens her grip on his hand, rubbing his arm with her free hand.

Bedelia glances back at footsteps, the two missing members walking in.

"Are you sure?" Penelope asks in a soft, broken tone.

"It's Gideon." Hotch confirms.

Spencer turns and rushes out, his hand falling from his wife's.

"Spence." She calls, her voice only a whisper so it doesn't crack, her heart breaking at him in pain. She follows him outside, returning to the car. "Baby. Baby, hey." She calls, rubbing his back.

Spencer sobs, Bedelia immediately pulling him down into a tight hug. She cradles his head, keeping her other arm securely wrapped around his shoulders and she rubs his back a bit.

Spencer's arms engulf her into the hug, his face buried in her shoulder, his tears wetting her coat. Bedelia whispers reassuring nothings, even if she knows it won't help.

+++

Bedelia keeps her arm around Spencer's waist as they watch the medics carry Gideon's covered body by. They load him up into the back of the truck.

Derek, Bedelia, and Spencer go to the SUV, following the truck off.

+++

"Out of respect, I kept him covered." The M.E. says.

"Thank you." Bedelia quietly tells her.

"Appreciate that." Derek says.

Bedelia attempts to hold Spencer's hand, but he just closes it up, no longer accepting her comfort. She keeps her mouth shut, flexing her hand out of discomfort, just wanting to help him.

"Cause of death was hypovolemic shock due to ballistic trauma." She says. "3 points of entry -- left shoulder, right abdominal wall, and right temporal."

Bedelia keeps her eyes on her husband, watching as he doesn't even seem to hear anything the M.E. is saying as he stares at the sheet.

"Did he suffer?" Derek asks.

"Not for long, no. His brain stopped working before he was able to process his last breath. After the final shot, he was gone within a fraction of a second."

"Would you excuse us, please?" Derek asks.

"Of course." The M.E. leaves.

"Did you hear any of that?" Derek asks Spencer. "He didn't suffer." A tear runs down Spencer's cheek and he sniffles, quickly wiping the tear away with a tissue. Derek holds onto Spencer's shoulder.