037. a good husband

Bedelia and Spencer get to the BAU late due to handling Cassie and Diana, still trying to get in the groove of having the woman live with them. They also had to drop Theodora off at daycare, only making them later.

"Reid, B." They hear and turn to Emily as she walks out of the conference room. "Hey, are you guys good?"

"Yeah. I'm good. I'm a little frazzled." Spencer says.

"I've been worse." Bedelia shrugs.

"How's your mom?" Emily asks. Spencer looks down. "You've both got your hands full, I'm sure."

"Hmm. Yeah, that's one phrase for it." Bedelia weakly laughs. "Sorry, I-I need to be sarcastic so I don't just... go around screaming."

"We finally found an in-home nurse that knows what she's doing." Spencer says. "It's just that we've had a little trouble coordinating our schedules."

"Do you think we should be there to help ease the transition?" Emily asks.

"I think we should, but..." Bedelia looks up at her husband.

"No, I think it's important that my mom learns to rely on Nurse Campbell." Spencer says.

"She's your mother. If you need more time, take it. Both of you." Emily says.

"Oh, all that I need is a comprehensive plan to help me balance being at home with her and doing my work here, plus spending time with Theo and B." Spencer says.

"Then you should take the time to do that." Emily says.

"Well, it's-- that's just the thing. By distracting my conscious mind with work, it will allow my subconscious mind to form a plan at roughly 10 billion times the speed." Spencer says, smiling, and he walks away.

Emily looks at Bedelia.

"I don't--" Bedelia shrugs, shaking her head. "I've tried everything. If he dies from exhaustion, then he dies."

+++

Bedelia, Emily, and Spencer get to the police department.

"We're very sorry about the officers you lost." Emily tells the chief.

"Worst thing in the department's history." He says. "But right now we have to focus on this case. I've got the conference room set up for you right over there with everything you've got so far."

"Any I.D. on the second victim yet?" Spencer asks.

"No." He shakes his head. "But I've got 50,000 residents worried we have a serial killer on our hands."

"Is that the first victim's ex-wife and daughter?" Emily asks, nodding to the woman sitting on the couch and young girl playing on the floor.

"Madison was supposed to see her dad yesterday." The chief says.

"Do you mind if we talk to them?" Emily asks. The chief shakes his head, motioning for them to go ahead.

"Hi." Spencer waves to the girl.

"Oh. If you're from social services, I haven't told her yet." The mom says.

"Are you gonna take me to my daddy now?" Madison asks.

"No, not yet, sweetheart." Bedelia gently smiles.

"Actually, we are from the FBI." Emily says.

"What's FBI?" Madison asks.

"Whoa! That is a cool doll." Spencer says, changing the subject, sitting in one of the chairs. "What's her name?"

"Sally. She has the same hair as you." Madison says making Spencer laugh. Bedelia snorts, quickly clearing her throat.