009. hero worship

"So, you ready to go?" Bedelia asks, slinging her bag over her shoulder.

"Um... I-I have to finish these last couple of files, but then I'll be home." Spencer says.

"You want me to stay?" Bedelia asks.

"No. No, go home. Spend some time with Theo." Spencer tells her.

"Okay." She says. Spencer puts his attention on the file in front of him. "Hey." She puts her hand on top of his head, tilting his head back so he has to look at her. "Come home tonight."

"I will." Spencer nods, offering her a small smile. He turns back to the file.

Bedelia has a stern look in her eyes, but doesn't scold him, knowing he's still grieving. She sighs, placing a lingering kiss to the top of his head. She ruffles his hair, making it even more unruly.

+++

Bedelia lays in bed, her hand resting on the empty side of the bed, finding zero comfort in its coldness. She huffs, reaching for her cell phone and dialing Spencer's number.

The phone goes straight to voicemail making her groan and roll her eyes. She tries again, only to get the same thing, knowing he either has it silenced, it's dead, or he's actually ignoring her.

Bedelia dials the number for his work phone.

"Hello?" He answers after a few rings.

"It's 11 PM. Where are you?" She asks.

"I, uh... I decided to get a head start on tomorrow's files." Spencer says.

"No. You're playing that never ending game of chess, aren't you?" She inquires.

"...No." Spencer mumbles.

"Spencer." She whines.

"I'll be home before the sun rises. I promise." Spencer tells her. "Just... don't wait up. I'm okay. I love you." He hangs up.

Bedelia sighs, putting her phone up.

"I sleep better with you, idiot." She mutters, running her hands through her hair out of frustration.

+++

Bedelia gets to work, marching over to Spencer's desk where he sits and works. Just as he reaches for his cup of coffee, Bedelia snatches it and sits where it just was.

"Wha--" Spencer frowns.

"You need to come home and sleep." Bedelia states.

"I sleep." Spencer says.

"Not at home." Bedelia hisses.

JJ and Kate both do their best to mind their own business. 

"Even when you do come home, it's not until, like, 3 or 4 in the freaking morning. You're back at work by 7. Plus, you sleep on the couch." Bedelia says.

"I don't wanna wake you up." He reasons.

"So then come home with me." Bedelia says.

"I just--"

"You're in the same clothes as yesterday. You get, what? 30 to 60 minutes of sleep? 8 million gallons of coffee in you?" Bedelia remarks.

"Delia..." He tries.

"I know you're grieving, but there's a healthy way to do it and an unhealthy way." She says. "Staying up 24/7, playing chess, and living off of only coffee is an unhealthy way."

"I just need a little more time." Spencer says.

"You need to come home." Bedelia states. "I miss you." She says. "Your daughter misses you." She states.