022. a badge and a gun

"Los Angeles, here we come again." Penelope says. "Earlier this morning, Isabella Jayne was found in her home in Atwater Village. This comes on the heels of Gertrude Smiles being discovered in her house in Eagle Rock 5 miles away. Both women had been wrapped up and left in their bedrooms, Gertrude in a rug, Isabella in her own sheets."

"Prelim M.E. report says that both victims died of asphyxiation." Hotch says.

"Were there any other signs of physical trauma?" Spencer asks.

"None." Penelope says.

"So suffocating them gets him off." Derek says.

"We've seen erotic asphyxiation before, but this is different." Spencer says. "I mean, he's completely encapsulating these women."

"It sounds like remorse. Maybe the unsub knew his victims." JJ suggests.

"Both of them are single. It's possible he's romantically involved with them." Spencer says.

"Or they're surrogates for someone he feels guilty about killing." Derek says.

"Whatever the reason, there's something about wrapping them that's important to him." Rossi says.

"There's no sign of burglary or forced entry. Somehow he's talking his way in." Bedelia says.

"So they knew him or he used a ruse." Derek says. "Baby girl, any connection jump up?"

"Nothing yet, but I'm still digging." She says.

"My gut says ruse. Charm and harm. He smooth talks women to gain their trust, and then when they let down their guard, he turns on them." Rossi says.

"Well, two victims in two days. Whatever he's doing works." JJ says.

"It could turn into a spree. Wheels up in 30." Hotch says.

+++

"Well, it doesn't appear the unsub has a particular type." JJ says. "Gertrude was 29 and blonde. Isabella was 40 and brunette."

"And Garcia found no personal connection between the victims." Derek says.

"Both led low risk lifestyles. Isabella worked from home doing medical billing. Gertrude was a marketing exec for a toy company." Rossi says.

"Both victims were also home alone during the day when they let him in." Spencer says.

"Rather than type, it may have been the women's circumstances that were important to him." Hotch says.

"You know, the wrapping of the victims and the fact that they were both found in the bedroom could indicate some sort of sexual or power dominance fetish, like claustrophilia." Spencer says.

"But don't most claustrophiliacs want to experience it for themselves?" Bedelia asks.

"Well, if the unsub was into that, he could be projecting his own fetish onto his victims." Derek says.

"Sir, the L.A. division just reached out. There's been another woman found dead." Penelope informs. "Wrapped head to toe in a bedsheet, this time in her kitchen."

"Three victims in two days. As predicted, we officially have a spree killer on our hands." Rossi says.

"And officially the LAPD has handed over the investigation." Penelope states.

"The motivation for spree killers is typically personal and retaliatory with an ultimate goal in mind." Spencer says.

"Christer Dorner's motivation was payback for being fired by the LAPD." Derek says. "He set out to murder cops and their families."