010. lockdown

trigger warning: attempted rape

"Officers Keith Rivers and Rudy Hightower, both career prison guards, both married, kids, nothing out of the ordinary." Kate says.

"The uniform itself could be the target." Derek says. "Kill a guard, any guard, it doesn't matter which one."

"And what about the sock in the mouth?" Kate asks.

"It might be some kind of warning to keep quiet, you know, like, put a sock in it." Rossi says.

"It could have also just been a gag to literally keep the victims quiet." JJ says.

"Well, either way, we're probably looking at multiple unsubs." Hotch says. "This would be very difficult to pull off alone."

"Multiple unsubs in a prison, sounds like a gang." Kate says.

"And gangs have gang leaders and the murders could lead back to one of them, and by them, I mean him." JJ shows a photo of a guy.

"Julio Watson, founder of the Southside Crip Nation." Derek says.

"He transferred in a month before the murders started." JJ says. "Wonder if it's a coincidence."

"Excuse me, sir." Penelope calls. "Even I am befuddled. I found almost nothing on this prison, but this is what I do know. The Reagan Federal Penitentiary was opened in 1969 just outside of Liberty, Texas. Oh, the irony, I know. And then it was scheduled to be shut down, but Citadel Corrections Company bought it a year ago from Uncle Sam."

"The business of incarceration is extremely lucrative and virtually recession-proof." Spencer says. "The Citadel Corrections Company has more than quadrupled their holdings since they were founded 20 years ago. They now have 19 facilities all across the country. 59.603 prisoners in their charge."

"Guess I had it wrong all this time. Crime does pay." Rossi says.

+++

They get to the prison and park, all getting out.

"Agent Hotchner, it's good to see you, sir." A guy says. "Thank you again for coming all this way."

"Hopefully we can help, warden." Hotch shakes his hand.

"Oh, Agent Rossi, hey, it's great to meet you." The warden says, shaking his hand.

"Likewise, warden."

"This is our team. This is Agent Callahan, Agent Jareau, Agent Reid, Dr. Reid, and Agent Morgan." Hotch informs.

"This is Captain Shavers, head of security." The warden says. "He can help you with anything you need."

"Call me Dale, please. And welcome. It's good to have y'all here." He tells them. "Right this way." They lead the team inside.

"Gun lockers for your weapons and ammo are right here." The warden says as the team puts their weapons in them. "Obviously we had to move Officer Rivers' body, but per your request, we left everything else as is."

"Thank you." Hotch says.

"Thank you for coming." A guard says.

"Polinsky, I want those sign up forms logged in before the next shift." Dale says. "Make sure we get them visitor badges. Close." The barred door slides shut. "If you don't mind, I got a few things I need to tend to, but I'll catch up with you ASAP."

"I'm sorry there's no cell signal inside the walls." The warden says. "We had to jam it."

"You got inmates smuggling phones in?" Derek asks.