1. All Hell Breaks Loose

Silence is the most terrifying sound

Everything is still.

You can feel your heart pumping the blood into your veins. You can feel the blood rushing through your body, keeping you alive.

Alive.

Something that has been harder to stay than anything else for the last couple of months. Mix fastens his baldric around his shoulder with all the weapons he carries with him. He truly hopes that this will work. It has to. He looks out from around the corner. Their decomposing bodies are disgustingly horrifying even from afar. Oh, man, how much Mix hates zombies! And to think that, there was a time not even a year ago when he liked them... just like everyone else did. Some of his close friends, teachers, neighbours, his favourite celebrities and sportsmen... all of them were zombies and it was normal because being a zombie was completely fine until it wasn't...

There are at least ten zombies right now, slowly making a deadly circle around a man. Mix knows that it is a man just because he can see a glimpse of his stone-cold face every time the zombies around the man sway from side to side.

There are not many things Mix can do to help the guy. So, he takes a step out from his hiding, in his hand clutching a metal bar. "Ahh, fuck it!" He groans and swings the metal bar, hitting it hard on the hood of a car left abandoned in this parking lot. He hits the car multiple times. The sound of it getting louder and louder.

"Come on, you fuckers! I'm right here. Come at me if you dare!" Mix shouts from the top of his lungs. Not the first time he will have to run from a bunch of brainless creatures.

And then, zombies turn.

[ almost a year ago ]

"Mix, are you coming with us after school?"

Mix turns around on the staircase and raises his eyebrow at his best friend. "Lana," Mix cocks his eyebrow even more, "you sure you want me there?"

"Why wouldn't I?" Lana shrugs, tapping her well-manicured fingers on the side of the half-empty cup of coffee from the university cafeteria.

"So you don't mind that you won't have privacy with your lovely zombie boyfriend, hmm?" Mix asks teasingly.

Lana started dating Oliver when she and Mix were in their junior year and Oliver was two years their senior studying human-zombie international relations. He was nice, tall, and handsome. His penetrating green eyes made you feel like he could see right into your soul and his dirty blond fluffy hair made him look like an angel. He had a strict schedule of when to eat when to sleep, and when to wake up like every member of the zombie population in the world had in order to keep their hormonal activity stable enough to not start turning green and rotting from the inside. It was a tedious thing, but zombies never complained, and the human part of the population was very accepting and understanding.