6. They Come at Night

"Mind telling us who are you so familiar with

"Mind telling us who are you so familiar with... honey?"

Earth chuckles, pats Pond on the back and pulls away, "we are friends."

"Our moms are actually best friends. They basically grew up together," Pond adds and walks up to his boyfriend, hugging him tight, "don't be mad."

"We haven't seen each other for a couple of years," Earth says.

"Since you've joined the military," Pond glares at Earth jokingly.

"It's been a pretty busy time," Earth shrugs and starts looking around. He hopped to see Pond again sometime, but he surely wasn't expecting to meet him in an abandoned building in the middle of the zombie apocalypse and in the company of the only person who could help to end this apocalypse as soon as possible. Pond looks well-kept, unharmed, bulkier, and probably way more trained than the last time he saw him. It's nice to see him again, but also worrying because Pond being here means that he is in constant danger trying to help Mix get to the top of the Doi Inthanon. But on the other hand, it might be good that Pond is here because Mix clearly trusts Pond and Pond trusts Earth so, maybe this will make Mix trust Earth more as well.

"You two know each other? So, I can be positive that he isn't trying to kill me, huh?" Mix looks at Pond and takes his baldric off, putting it aside.

"Of course, he isn't," Pond chuckles and then looks between his boyfriend and his friend. "Baby, this is my friend, Earth. I mentioned him before... remember? Earth, this is Phuwin... we've been dating for almost two years—which, you would have known if you were using your phone for other things than just your work."

"Sorry, yeah, my bad," Earth chuckles and nods towards Phuwin, "glad to meet you."

"Same. Even though it would be better under different circumstances," Phuwin says and steps aside to check the food supplies. "We have almost no food left," he looks at Mix, "and I assume you didn't bring anything back today."

Mix sighs, yeah he completely forgot to stop at that store he went by before he met Earth along the way. But they have to move on tomorrow anyway, so the food they have left should be enough for now. "We are leaving in the morning anyway, it's fine."

"I have some food as well," Earth says, taking off his backpack. "We can share if someone's hungry. I'm not really."

"I'm fine, too," Mix says and sits up at a table standing right under one of the windows in the room. He grabs a knife, running his finger over its blade, testing how sharp it is. And then he looks up, "so, I killed two zombies while I was out, but then I have disturbed about eight or ten other ones when I was trying to save this guy," he cocks his head towards Earth. "Apparently, that was a mistake. What were you even trying to do with them? They were basically all over you."

Earth squats down to his backpack, takes out a small black disk and puts it on the floor in front of him. "This is called a zombie bomb. It is not a bomb in the real sense of the word, but it does explode about ten seconds after I press this," Earth points at the small white button in the middle of the disk. "If I press on it five times in a row it'll explode ten seconds after. What it does is—it shoots out this very thin but incredibly heavy net that covers everything in two to three metres vicinity. And if that covers you, it's almost impossible to get it out of yourself even if you are a zombie. Someone will have to cut it away from you wire by wire in order to let you out. I was almost ready to press it and step out of the circle," Earth looks back at Mix, "but then you showed up playing a hero."