13. Survivor?

Where does she come from? And why is she alone? These are the two questions that are playing in Mix's mind on repeat as he watches Phuwin wrapping a blanket around the girl and feeding her a chocolate bar

Where does she come from? And why is she alone? These are the two questions that are playing in Mix's mind on repeat as he watches Phuwin wrapping a blanket around the girl and feeding her a chocolate bar. And the third question—what to do with this girl now? She can't continue with them, but can they leave her alone?

"What's your name?" Earth asks, squatting down in front of the girl and looking up at her with a reassuring smile.

"L-lilly," the girl replies, her fingers nervously clutching the hem of her dirty blue t-shirt.

"Nice to meet you, Lilly. I'm Earth," Earth points at Mix, "this is Mix, and those two guys standing at your right are Pond and Phuwin," Pond and Phuwin raise their hands a little when Earth mentions their names.

"Can you tell us what happened? Why are you alone? Where are your parents... siblings... friends?" Mix asks.

Lilly starts shaking her head, "they... all of them are gone. They were all bitten by... by those creatures." She starts shaking a little, "I woke up and they were all turning already. My whole family... my whole family is gone..."

Mix looks around. The door to the van is closed. Even locked. They did this after Mix alerted everyone in the van that they had company. Wanting to be safe from zombies or whatever else Lilly was running from they all went in, locked the door, checked all the windows, and only then Puwin put the blanket around her and gave her the chocolate bar. But right now, listening to Lilly's words, Mix is starting to be concerned. Lilly woke up and all of her family was already bitten by a zombie but she wasn't? Why would she be the only one who wasn't? Unless, she was bitten as well, but she doesn't know about it or he is lying. One thing is for sure, being locked in, in a place which is supposed to protect them, with a liar is definitely better than being locked in with soon-to-be a zombie.

"So, you woke up and your whole family was already turning into zombies?" Mix asks for confirmation.

Lilly nods.

"Where were you with your family when that happened?" Earth asks.

"There's a gas station... I don't know... a couple of kilometres away from him. I don't know how much I have run. I'm sorry."

"You were sleeping at the gas station?" Mix asks.

"Yes," Lilly replies quietly.

Mix leans over to Earth who is now standing, arms crossed on his chest, eyebrows furrowed. "Is there a gas station a couple of kilometres from here?"

Earth nods, "there is. I walked past it on my way here."

"So you trust her?"

"I don't think she has any reason to lie," Earth replies indirectly.

"Yes," Mix whispers, "but either she is lying or she is bitten because how can you explain that her whole family was bitten but she wasn't?"

"Maybe she woke up before zombies could bite her as well..." Earth offers a plausible answer.