12. The Inner Storm

This is crazy!

This is crazy!

Why is Mix agreeing with this? Why is he letting Earth kiss him? Why? Why? Why?

They kiss fast and hard as if they are running out of time as if the peaceful night is ready to erupt into a bloody mayhem any second. Earth is holding Mix by his nape, fingers digging so deep into Mix's skin as if he can't bear the thought of Mix pulling away and leaving his lips alone and cold.

But after what feels like forever, Mix does exactly that. He pulls away as fast as they crashed their lips together before, and with heavy breath, he looks towards the window as if suddenly he is able to look outside. Of course, he isn't and of course, he can't fool Earth with that.

Earth can see that the kiss affected Mix as much as it affected him. Earth has never felt an urge so strong to kiss someone. He always liked his partners in his previous relationships, and he liked kissing them as well, but he realizes with crushing reality that no matter how long his previous relationships lasted or how much he liked his partners, he has never wanted to kiss them as much as he wanted to kiss Mix. That shouldn't be the case. He doesn't even know Mix for that long. And yet, he is already looking forward to doing it again. He needs to do it again. He needs to taste those honey-coated lips on his own again. He just needs it. So it's not that much of a surprise when these next words fall out of him without much thinking.

"That was... perfect."

However, what is surprising are the words that come out of Mix's honey-coated lips at the same time as Earth's own.

"This can never happen again."

Earth frowns. The honey he tasted on his lips before suddenly turns sour.

"Why?" he asks. His voice was strong, but not strong enough to wake up the happy couple cuddling on one of the bunk beds.

Mix bites his bottom lip, running his fingers nervously through his hair before he finally finds the courage to look into Earth's eyes. And when he does, he almost doesn't say the next words, seeing how hurt Earth looks. Mix wasn't expecting that his reaction would get Earth so much. But whatever... shaking his head, Mix says, "because it's reckless."

"Reckless?" Earth chuckles in disappointment. "Reckless," he repeats quietly again.

"We are in the middle of a world zombie apocalypse, and you are the one who is supposed to help me to get on that damn mountain. We have no time to start caring about each other more than we already do. Feelings always complicate everything, and I really think that right now the last thing we need is even more complications. I think, that walking around with one couple is already more than enough."

"You think that if we don't kiss again, I'll stop wanting to kiss you?" Earth blurts out. "Because that's not how it works, Mix. If anything, it's gonna get even worse. People always want what they can't have. Ever heard of that?"