The Common Room Party - Part Three

It was safe to say that Theo was furious with Mattheo. The Slytherin common room party—a party he knew Aria was at alone—had started over two hours ago and yet his best friend insisted that Theo come with him for a smoke by the lake before they went. Of course, Theo couldn't refuse, not without raising suspicion, so he begrudgingly went with Mattheo, who was now ranting about Nora Rosier to no end.

"Theo?" Mattheo asked, taking another drag of a cigarette.

"What?" he grumbled irritably. 

Mattheo's eyes widened. "What's got your knickers in a twist? You'd think you'd be a little happier to hang with your best friend."

I'd be happier if I could hang with Aria, he thought with a groan. He couldn't imagine all of the mischief she was getting up to with Astoria. And then there was the matter of the other boys. She was so bloody beautiful that there was no way they wouldn't be able to stare at her. Oh, Merlin. What if they tried to dance with her? Or kiss her? Or—

He had to get to that party. He just had to.

"My knickers aren't in a twist. I'd just rather be at the party," Theo replied, taking the cigarette from Mattheo and smoking it once.

Mattheo raised an eyebrow. "You never care about the parties this much. Something is up with you. You've been acting odd lately."

Theo shook his head. "I've been fine. Drop it." But he knew Mattheo wouldn't. And he also knew, with how agitated he was over Nora, that Mattheo wasn't going to that party anytime soon. Enough is enough. "I'm going up to the common room. Enjoy your smoke."

He could feel Mattheo's eyes burning in his back as he briskly walked up to the Hogwarts castle. He forced himself to walk slowly. Remember, Mattheo is watching you. All he wanted to do was run and take Aria in his arms and bring her to the Astronomy Tower where they could be alone again, where he could kiss her whenever he wanted without worrying about someone seeing them.

Theo could feel the music well before he heard it. It reverberated throughout the castle and while he normally would have been happy to hear it—as it was a well-known secret that Theodore loved to be a wallflower at all kinds of parties, drinking and watching as he always did—something felt off about tonight. Something felt wrong. 

In the sinking depths of his stomach, Theo almost felt the same kind of dread he felt just before his mother died, when he was seven years old standing in the bedroom with her as she attempted to give birth to his baby sister before collapsing, closing her eyes for always. 

He scowled and hurried his pace, practically running to the party now. Something was off. He just knew it. And the fact that Aria was there—and potentially involved—was enough to make him care less about other people seeing him.

Theo walked into the party where green lights flashed and deep music played. The fact that it was one of the most crowded parties he had ever been to didn't appease his nerves. 

To the left of the entrance was a bar where a young Slytherin fourth year—Edward? Edwin? something like that—served drinks. Astoria was laughing away with bloody Quintanilla, an insane flirt that Theo had never liked. He was sleazy, that was for sure, and he was only a half-blood, which made him even more insufferable as he tried desperately to fit in with pureblood society. Really, it just made him look more pathetic.

Wait.

Astoria wasn't with Aria. Theo felt his stomach sink even more. 

He hurriedly walked over to where Astoria was laughing with Quintanilla. "Astoria," he boomed, quickly catching the attention of the black-haired witch. "Where's Aria?"