Just a word

Pov: Brian

After ending football practice I drove up to A's house. I wanted to speak with her. It took me a five-minute drive to get there. When I'd parked my car outside on her lawn, I walked up to the door and rang her doorbell. I waited for a minute until a middle-aged woman, probably in her late forties, opened the door, presumably she was Audrey's mom. She seemed confused and after examining me from head to bottom she asked who I was and what was I doing there.

"I'm Brian, ma'am. I suppose you are Audrey's mother."

She slightly nodded which I interpreted as a sign to keep on speaking.

"Is your daughter by any chance here? We agreed to meet up here at 6 to go to the cinema. We're watching Scream 6. "

The woman took a step forward and said:

"Sorry, but she's not here. She took off with a friend an hour ago. I think they went to the park. His name was David. But I could call her if you want. "

"Thanks but you don't need to do it. Maybe she's just running a few minutes late."

The woman shook her head.

"Knowing her she's probably forgotten. Hang on. I'm going to call her. Meanwhile why don't you come in and make yourself at home. "

I cautiously entered the living room while she headed to the kitchen.

She drew her phone out from her jacket and started dialing her number. After a minute or so she hung up and told me that just as she thought she had forgotten all about the meeting and she would be here in a couple of minutes.

I scanned the living room from head to bottom. It was nice. There were lots of family photos hung carefully on the walls: there was one in which a little girl with a wide smile was holding a pink lollipop, presumably Audrey. She hadn't changed a bit. She still had that beautiful smile and that happiness to her. Anyways, in the middle of the room, there was a dark corner sofa decorated with many cushions. Beneath this, there was a quite soft white rug with grey patterns similar to knots and just on top, there was a little square table made out of wood with some magazines spread out on it. There was a National Geographic magazine whose cover had a picture of a beautiful lilac meadow, along with a fashion one, although I couldn't tell which one was it.

I waited nervously in the living room until suddenly, the doorbell rang.

My heart started beating faster.

Shit, I felt nervous.

I heard Audrey's mom's steps walking towards the door and calling me over. Before she opened it she asked me if I could tell Audrey she had left dinner in the fridge and wouldn't be home early.

I stood up and went out to the hall with a smile on my face, ready to go. But for all the things I could have expected, I wasn't prepared to see what I was about to.