If today has been hard, tomorrow won't be left behind

Pov David:

This was a mess. Everything was a mess. I shouldn't have pushed him to be together and charming Chiara just made it worse.

I ran after him. When I finally reached him I grabbed his wrist to make him stop.

"Brian" I told him so that he would turn his back and face me.

At first, he refused, I tugged his arm a little bit harder and when he stopped resisting we were face to face.

His face was red. He was crying. My heart shattered into a thousand pieces. I felt so bad for him. I didn't know this would affect him so badly. I know, I shouldn't have been thinking this while he was crying but I just couldn't help it; he was the most beautiful person I've ever seen. Despite, his puffy eyes and swollen lips. When I managed to gather up the courage to speak, my voice came out shaky.

"Brian. What happened? Are you OK?"

It was a stupid question, just out of politeness. Of course, he wasn't OK, and it was all my fault.

"Yeah, I just realised that we shouldn't be together. I don't like you, this was all a mistake but I'm so sorry if I hurt you. Though I don't want this to ruin our friendship"

He let go of my hand quickly, as if he didn't like those words which had just come out of his mouth.

I knew him. He didn't mean what he had just said, but I couldn't pressure him into being with me. He wanted to be friends so I had to accept it. Maybe in a couple of weeks, when he figures out what his feelings are, I will be ready to be with him.

"It's OK. I don't think we should be together... You are right" I immediately blushed, I don't know why I said that. I didn't feel it. I was going to tell him that I would be waiting for him for as long as necessary but the pressure of the moment made me say that.

No later than I'd said that his face twitched. Sadness reflected upon his eyes again. Maybe he wasn't expecting it.

My heart started beating faster. Maybe he still liked me, maybe he was just nervous. But it didn't take long for me to remember he had just downright rejected me. I couldn't feel sorry for him.

A few moments later, I came out of the trance I'd been, realising I'd been staring at him for too long. I decided it was better for us to go home. The silence was too uncomfortable at the moment, but until we got used to it, it was better for us to take a break, even though it burnt.

"It's late, I have to be at home by eight to make my brother's dinner" It was obvious I was lying, I've never cooked for my brother, I suck at it and Brian knows it but I didn't have a better excuse.

"Oh yeah, I should be going to" He sighed, relieved to see the silence had ended.

"See you"

I marched down the street in the opposite direction, giving a thought to the fact that I wasn't going to have anyone to be with. What was I going to do these next few weeks? Brian has been my best friend for too many years and now that I was angry with Audrey and Chiara I would be alone. Nonetheless, I couldn't help thinking that it was time to move on and accept Audrey's apology. As the old saying went "To live is to forgive". 

While I was walking down the street just a couple minutes from arriving I realised. Brian has probably had the same thought as me, he doesn't know Chiara very well, and after what she has just done I'm sure it isn't his priority to talk with her. I should try to be friends both with Chiara and Audrey, I didn't want to spend all day seeing how Audrey flirts with Brian but I should also keep near him so he feels that we still are best friends and that he can tell me everything.

Oh my god, tomorrow will definitely be a long day.