CHAPTER 1: The Beginning of the End

"Phew..."

I let out a sigh of relief upon stowing away the mop and bucket inside the utility closet. Now that the work day was nearing its end, I could feel the full weight of my fatigue crashing down on my shoulders.

Do I really have to shower tonight? I'm beat!

As if reading my mind, the manager calls out to me from across the room. Dale and his wife, Diana—owners of the local convenience store—are behind the counter by the cash register, tallying the day's earnings. I stop flexing my arm and turn to meet his wrinkled gaze.

"You mind grabbing the trash?" he asks.

"Sure thing, Mr. Robinson."

"Daisuke," Mrs. Robinson calls out next. "We can handle the rest ourselves. It's been a long day; why don't you head home and get some rest after taking care of the trash?"

Her suggestion, of course, is music to my ears, but I still find myself asking, "Are you sure it's okay?"

"Bah!" Mr. Robinson exhales nosily. "We may not be young whippersnappers anymore, but we still have enough energy to get things done. Isn't that right, dear?"

He nudges her provocatively with his elbow.

"Oh you~" Mrs. Robinson giggles softly, the gentle folds around her cheeks turning bright pink with embarrassment.

I can't help but cringe at the scene that happens more frequently than I would like. Agh! Gross! Please don't flirt while I'm here!

As I hurry for the trash to make myself scarce, a radiant smile spreads across my lips. The Robinsons, true to their nature, are very warm and compassionate individuals; one doesn't need to be an acquaintance for them to shower you with kindness.

They aren't quite aware of it, but they are the closest semblance of family or friends in my life. My parents met a tragic end five years ago in a car accident, and life has steadily spiraled downward ever since. The house and car were repossessed, university became a distant dream, and the absence of familial ties meant I faced my struggles alone, with no helping hand extended.

Yes, I am alone.

I never knew the world to be so cold and terrifying.

However, just as I was about to fall into complete and utter despair, I was saved by the Robinsons. They are my proverbial life vest in the turbulent sea of life. When everything around me sinks into a watery abyss, they keep me afloat by offering a job when no one else would.

And, since they weren't able to have any kids of their own due to medical complications, they treat me like their very own grandson. I'm eternally thankful for that. Being with them gives meaning to my lowly existence.

To be completely honest, the pay here isn't really that great, and I'm pretty sure the constant flirting has killed off a significant portion of my brain cells. Yet, the reality is, I wouldn't exchange this job for anything else in the world.

However, let's not paint an overly rosy picture here. There are aspects I'd trade away in a heartbeat. And as I muse over this inconvenient truth, the very nightmare I alluded to begins to take shape, like clockwork.

"Hahaha!" an eerie laugh reverberates through the air, reminiscent of a scene from a scary movie. "The hour is nigh. Your doom approaches."

My heart skips a beat.

The bone-chilling voice came from a Lyrebird that the Robinsons keep as a pet inside a birdcage. Lyrebirds, renowned mimics, can effortlessly replicate any sound, and this particular one has decided to transform my time at the store into a scene from a horror film.