CHAPTER 15: The Langley Siblings

The day gradually transitioned into night.

There were no monster encounters, particularly because the carriage remained on the main road. However, Daisuke couldn't determine if it was sheer luck or a missed opportunity for a potential escape.

As if part of a nefarious design, the men would occasionally hurl snide remarks and insults at the kids, draining away any lingering hope they clung to and squeezing their self-esteem dry, much like wringing out a washcloth.

The only silver lining, if it could even be labeled as such, was that the merchants were mindful of their profits. They maintained the pristine appearance of their goods, sparing the children from physical abuse and providing plenty of food to nourish them.

In the distant mountains, the haunting howl of a Kobold pierced the night. The soft, silvery glow of moonlight bathed the landscape as the flames of a crackling bonfire danced, casting flickering shadows on the faces of the seven men huddled around it. They feasted on a stew made from a Horned Rabbit, while the two wild dogs gnawed on the remnants of a pair of skulls nearby.

Daisuke ignored them with practiced indifference, but a storm brewed within him.

Before he could properly grieve his mother's untimely passing, the troop's betrayal shattered his already unstable world, leaving him adrift in a sea of misery.

As he reflected on his sacrifices for the people, the light in his eyes gradually dulled, and his heart hardened almost beyond repair. Yet, he refused to surrender to hopelessness.

Amidst the sleeping children, he delicately traced the auburn strands of hair framing April's peaceful face. She was fast asleep, her mind exhausted from the incessant grip of fear. She was too young and innocent to be subjected to such a wretched life. He needed to protect her, to shield her from the horrors of this world.

But how would—

"Kyaaa~" one of the men exclaimed after a swig of booze. "Reginald Alden Percival—so that's our client, eh? And he's a Baron?"

"Sounds like his coin purse is pretty deep."

"I wouldn't get my hopes up," the leader cautioned.

"How come? Nobles are usually loaded, right?"

"Not this guy—at least, not that I know of. According to the rumors, he's from a long line of talented chemists who have been delving into the secrets of alchemy for generations. A few years ago, close to the end of his life, the former king of this land recognized their impressive achievements and summoned them to the kingdom. He commissioned them to create the Philosopher's Stone and grant him eternal youth."

"Seriously?"

"And what happened?"

"They failed, and the king died. The Percivals were condemned and banished from the palace, but not before being stripped of their titles and having their wealth seized," the leader explained.

One of the men frowned, his beer suddenly tasting sour. "Then he's no longer a Baron? Che. He's not planning to pay for the kids on credit, is he? That won't fly."

"No, he's since then curried favor with a few interesting characters and introduced a special product on the black market."

"Oh-oh? Sounds like my kinda guy."

Daisuke's eyes narrowed as he eavesdropped on the conversation from the shadows of the cage, then he stroked his chin in contemplation.

***

Daisuke looked around in astonishment as the coachman steered the horse through the gates of a town. It was as though a tempest had swept through the settlement, spiriting away all the inhabitants.