CHAPTER 8: Change - A Leap of Faith

Daisuke lay sprawled on the cold, wooden floor. The relentless rain and screeching crickets outside were deafening, but it wasn't enough to dull the violent maelstrom of thoughts raging in his mind.

Dammit! I feel so useless! In my previous life, at least I had a job and my programming skills. But here, I feel like nothing more than a helpless spectator.

All of a sudden, a faint scratching noise broke through his despair, stirring Daisuke from his stupor. He sat upright in time to witness a small kitten squeezing through a tiny hole at the bottom of the front door.

As the kitten wriggled its way in—successfully escaping the frigid night's rain—it paused to survey its surroundings before shaking off the water from its pitch-black coat. Had Daisuke not noticed the scratching, the kitten would have easily blended into the room's shadows without ever being detected.

Advertising that he wasn't a threat, Daisuke held his ground and simply observed. To his surprise, the kitten cautiously approached him, sniffing his finger as if to determine his nature, before tentatively licking his hand.

Daisuke beamed like a child at a carnival, his fingers itching to pet the creature. However, he resisted the urge, deciding it was best to give the kitten more time to trust him.

Is it domesticated? he wondered internally as the kitten boldly hopped onto his thigh and curled up in his lap. Or maybe it's just too young to be wary? Whatever the case, I appreciate the company.

He observed as the feline's olive-green eyes slowly closed, a warm smile spreading across his lips. "I don't have any food to give you, but I hope you'll consider staying with me for a while."

***

Years drifted by, and Midnight became a regular visitor, arriving almost nightly while on the prowl for food. Though just a stray cat, incapable of speech or clear emotions, its presence was enough to ease Daisuke's loneliness and preserve his sanity.

At some point, however, Midnight stopped coming. To an individual who was completely ignorant about the world beyond these walls, it was an omen of the world's unmistakable peril.

Yet cats were known for their capricious nature; it was a wonder Midnight had lingered as long as it did. It was possible the cat had found a mate or had simply moved on to greener pastures. Uncertain of the reason, Daisuke chose not to burden himself with unnecessary grief. The recurring nightmares of being chased and brutalized by loan sharks were already an unbearable burden for him to carry.

Despite the passage of years, Daisuke and his mother's living conditions only deteriorated. Perhaps it was because she was no longer as young and desirable, but the physical abuse she endured grew increasingly severe.

By extension, Daisuke also felt more despair. But he knew his mother wouldn't entertain any plea for change unless he presented a feasible plan to consistently put food on the table.

"Open!" he muttered with evident frustration, his fingers gesturing urgently. "Open Status Window!"

How many times had he uttered those words now? Hundreds? Thousands? Since the moment he could articulate the command without just spraying spit everywhere, Daisuke had been desperately trying to interface with the System, but to no avail.

Assuming this world was indeed a video game, being able to hunt monsters and perform quests would significantly alter their lives.

"Then she wouldn't need to continue doing this anymore..."

Suddenly, Daisuke's heart lurched as he heard his mother's scream piercing through the thin walls of the hut. His eyes widened, and his pulse raced at the unmistakable anguish in her voice.