CHAPTER 37: The Cusp of Revenge

A muscular blue hand pushed through the undergrowth as a large bipedal beast sniffed the air.

The two imposing tusks protruding from its jaws gleamed in the sunlight. A loincloth was cinched around its waist, a pair of wristlet and anklet made of monster hide on each limb, and a necklace crafted of miniature skulls hung eerily around its neck.

It surveyed the area with careful scrutiny, detecting the scent of potential prey. A small yellow bar appeared over its head, which meant it had entered a state of curious suspicion.

The name of monsters had different colors that indicated their relative strength and level compared to a player—white signified weakness, orange, averageness, and red meant it was strong. Monsters were also classified into various tiers based on power—General, Champion, Elite, and Giant. There were also «Field Bosses» that were the most powerful.

Daisuke's hands moved with a frenzied determination. He braided strips of bamboo fibers into a thick, strong cord, each strand interlocking with the next.

The fibers groaned under the tension as he stretched the cord taut between two towering tree trunks, their thick bases serving as makeshift anchors.

As the monster's thunderous footsteps drew nearer, Daisuke's own pulse thundered in his veins. He found a large, smooth rock on the forest floor. With his heart pounding in his chest, he loaded it into the pocket of his giant slingshot, its sturdy cord quivering in anticipation.

The fiend, oblivious that it was being targeted, drew closer, its grotesque form now visible through the dense underbrush. Daisuke's eyes narrowed to dangerous slits, his Composure Stat stilling his nerves as he lined up his shot.

The monster's bulbous eye, an inviting target, filled his vision. Time seemed to stand still as Daisuke released the taut bamboo cord. With a powerful snap, the rock shot forward, propelled by the pent-up energy of the bamboo fibers.

A split-second later, the projectile found its mark with unnerving precision, puncturing the bastard's eyeball. A guttural roar of agony echoed through the forest as the creature stumbled backward, its monstrous form writhing in pain.

Simultaneously, the yellow cursor that marked the targeted monster's location transitioned from white to yellow, then from yellow to a striking red. This change indicated the creature's shift from passive to cautious, and finally to "target acquired." Above its head, its name, level, and HP bar appeared.

[Exiled Hilitroll Chief | Lvl 17 | Field Boss]

With a mere mental command, Daisuke's weapon materialized into existence, its form solidifying within his grasp. His eyes narrowed as he observed the troll's name, etched in red within the System's interface. This meant the monster was at least ten levels above him, but he didn't despair.

"Grr!"

In a flash of fur and fangs, Zephyr lunged forward, his agile form a blur of motion. He targeted the tendons just above the monster's heels, sinking his teeth into the fibrous tissue. Yet, as swiftly as they were torn through, they rapidly began regenerating.

Daisuke frowned. As I thought... fighting it head on is just a complete waste of time.

Before the monstrous fiend could regain its balance, Zephyr twirled and lunged forward again, aiming for the jugular with deadly intent. But the creature's reflexes proved faster.

Using its massive club as an anchor, the troll bent its back and replaced its vulnerable neck with a large palm. Caught mid-air, Zephyr found himself in a perilous situation.

"Zephyr!" Daisuke's frantic cry filled the air as he charged forward to save his loyal companion. However, the troll, its beady eye flashing with cunning, abruptly righted its form, hurling the canine like a projectile towards the approaching human.