6. The Jimin-Effect

On Monday morning, after entering the school building, Jungkook went straight to his locker. He hadn't heard from Mila since Saturday; they didn't text or anything. When he looked around, he couldn't find her, even though they usually met before class.

Jungkook took out his books and headed to his first class.

He stopped when he saw Taehyung, but it wasn't until he was standing right next to him that another figure appeared behind him.

"You know Park?!" Jungkook asked, horrified, when he realized that the boy who came out from behind Taehyung was the same as in the pictures Mila had shown him. He put two and two together, the blonde hair had been an indication and that both were sophomores. Still a huge coincidence.

"Yes, Park Jimin. I told you he's my best friend. Do you two know each other?" Taehyung replied, visibly confused.

"Wait a minute. You two know each other." Jimin asked Tae quietly but you could clearly hear how shocked he was.

"Yes, I told you about him."

"That's the cute locker boy? That's Jeon Jungkook! Holy crap, I told you about him," Jimin whisper-shouted in his best friend's ear, not being able to believe it.

Taehyung's eyes widened as he looked back at Jungkook. "Shit. Are you serious?"

"He could have at least told me his name," Taehyung muttered, stunned by the fact that he had been talking to Jungkook the whole time.

"What's actually going on here?" asked Jungkook, who didn't notice the big meeting again.

"Why is he your best friend?" Jungkook questioned then and emphasized the 'he' just like Tae had emphasized the 'she' when talking about Mila.

"Hey, don't talk down to my best friend. And especially not when he's standing right next to us; that's rude." Taehyung stood protectively in front of Jimin, who waved him off. 

"Tae, it's okay. Let him say whatever he wants. I'm fine." Even when Jimin spoke, Jungkook didn't look at him to make his contempt even more clear to him and perhaps also a little so as not to drown in his beautiful sight. But that's not worth mentioning.

"Good for him, then," Taehyung said behind clenched teeth, keeping his self-control.
He would have loved to go for Jungkook's throat.

"How do you know me?" Jimin asked, already knowing the answer but wanting to hear it from Jungkook's mouth. He wanted Jungkook to tell that Mila had told him some things about him or at least mentioned him once, but he also knew that he probably wouldn't just blurt it out.

Jungkook didn't even look at Jimin when he addressed him directly, and he simply ignored his question. It was like Jungkook only talked to Taehyung, as if Jimin was not present, not visible to him.

And even if Jimin didn't want to admit it, his heart broke a little. As if its owner had simply thrown it carelessly on the floor and, because that wasn't enough, kicked it hard again, until the resulting cracks let all the love that once lay in the heart escape.

"Anyway, I'd better go now," Jungkook said when he saw Mila in the hallway, while Jimin looked at him wistfully.

He walked over to her, and Jimin and Taehyung could see them walking away, chatting, visibly not as dismayed as they were themselves.

"Oh crap. Do you think we've lost him already?" Tae waited for Jimin to answer, but he just stared after Jungkook. When he was no longer visible, he turned again so that he could look Tae in the eyes.

"He just completely ignored me, and did you see the way she looked at me? What kind of shit did she tell him?" You could see the disappointment on Jimin's face, not anger or anything like that; he was just sad about what happened. All the energy he had started the day with was gone.