Disguise 20: The Note

Rich Kid in Disguise

The Note

Disguise 20

-Penelope's POV-

"Are you sure about this?"

I asked Jeremy for the hundredth time, hanging my coat as quietly as I could before catching up to him. He rolled his eyes at me, his hands gripping the tray tight. I took his silence as a yes, so I nodded and directed him to place it on the coffee table.

"Quick review?" I suggested, rubbing my two shaky hands together as I prayed for warmth to comfort my lonely soul. I shivered, clenching my teeth as I looked around to see if the heater was on.

I'm not even sure why I'm doing this.

"Stop complaining, Williams."

"I'm sorry for not getting used to the snow," I hissed quietly as we trudged down the hallway. "California heat and all."

"I noticed," He replied. "Your wobbling knees and clattering teeth gave it away."

I frowned. "So you want an apology?"

"Shush."

I huffed, grudgingly receiving the eggs from his grasp. He chuckled at my childishness, getting two for himself. He looked at me as if he was waiting for something. I stared at him in confusion, before he tilted his head my way. I furrowed my eyebrows.

"You were serious about that apology?"

"It's better than asking for a payment on covering you up." He defended nonchalantly. I rolled my eyes.

"Do you think I'm—" I let out a little squeak when I tripped over nothing, my arms wrapping around Jeremy's neck accidentally. I was glad there was a counter behind him, so that we didn't fall to the ground.

"Clumsy?" He asked, his face just an inch away from mine. My heart was accelerating from both the shock and our proximity, my eyes wide. "Yes, I do."

An embarrassed blush covered my cheeks, before I pulled away from him. We both heaved a sigh of relief once we saw that our preoccupied hands didn't cause any damage to our plans.

He turned away from me, casually starting to walk to a direction I was expected to follow. I bit my lip before proceeding to our plans.

Where are we, might you ask?

We're in Kevin's loft. Apparently all five of them preferred a lonely life in a house away from their parents. Not that I'm judging, but shouldn't they just live together if they want to be away from their parents that much?

That's exactly what you're doing, Penelope.

I frowned at the thought, agreeing at the amount of truth it held.

It's been fifteen weeks since I ran from home—rather, California. Fifteen weeks since I became Tiffany Williams. Sometimes, I just wonder if they ever lived to know a girl named Penelope Hale. No one seems to know about me here.

That calls for a celebration.

"What are you mumbling about?" Jeremy grumbled, his voice low to set off the stealthiness. I glared at him.

"It's none of your business," I answered. "And hurry up."

"I'm the one doing all the work here."

I scowled. "It's not my fault I got paired with you."

"It's not my fault either that you were the name written on that paper."

I rolled my eyes, crossing my arms. "Sheesh, you just have bad luck."