Disguise 30: The Rescuer

Rich Kid in Disguise

The Rescuer

Disguise 30

-Penelope's POV-

There was something bugging me as I remained still, my consciousness slowly seeping into me. The room was surprisingly warm, a mere breadth of the soothing temperature sending tingles down my spine. It was pretty much easy to assume that the warmth of the room came from a fireplace somewhere on my north. I tried to open my eyes, a wince escaping my lips as I realized that I was blindfolded. Bound.

I tugged at the binds on my wrists, biting my lip to suppress another wince. It was tied pretty tightly, and I meant tied in a way that it would leave bruises.

Feeling defeat, I slumped my shoulders and slowly realized that I was seated in a rather comfy chair. I didn't dare protest seeing as it was much better than the one I woke up on hours ago. Without seeing my surroundings, I couldn't fully register where and what time it was.

Now what was I bugged about again?

"Start talking." A voice, which I could guess was Melissa's, ordered harshly. I would lie if I said that it didn't surprise me for a bit. I shifted on my position, not letting her tone get the better of me.

I released a sigh. I never actually thought that having your arms tied behind your back could be so taxing on my shoulders. The movies made it seem like it wasn't. I tipped my head back to at least let it relax. "Talk about what?"

"Don't play the coy card on me now, Hale." Melissa hissed bitterly, a chuckle escaping my mouth. I quickly muffled it by covering my lips, morphing it into quiet snickers. I absolutely had no idea why I was laughing. How freaking creepy.

"My memories are hazy right now, Brooks. Please try another time," I said, not intending to make it seem like I was stalling her. I at least tried to smile this time, an attempt to lighten the heavy tension lingering around the room. "That reminds me. Where's your partner?"

"You're never going to open up, are you?" She growled. I managed to shake my head, my toes curling as I took in the cold wooden floor. I could picture a homey living room somehow.

"I have nothing to reveal unless you'd count that I am indeed Penelope Hale and the fact that I'm actually enjoying this," I admitted truthfully as I took a deep breath, a faint scent of lavender filling my senses. "Sorry if that hurt a little bit of your feelings."

And it was true. Call me a masochist or whatever, but I actually found entertainment in my situation. Maybe it was because my worst fears came true and it slightly tipped back to disappointing. Or maybe I was just using that as an excuse all the same.

Well, as long as I don't regret anything out of this, I'd be fine. Hopefully.

Silence was the only thing that replied to me. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to be insulted or just shrug it off.

Few moments passed, silence still the only thing that kept me company. Growing impatient, I dared to tap my foot repeatedly.

"Melissa?" I called out, but still no answer. I retried a few more times before deciding that it was useless.

Shaking my head in attempt to loosen the cloth blocking my view, I groaned in exasperation when it didn't budge. I take calling Kevin useless back.

I heard the fire flicker faintly as every second passed. Heat continued to radiate around the room, cocooning me in an embrace.
It was then that I realized that I looked both awkward and lonely in this room, sitting on a, maybe, lone chair while bound and blindfolded.