Disguise 37: The Phone Call

Previously on The Confrontation:

It's been three days since Jeremy's confession. As Penelope stayed in Axel's apartment, they both acted the scene out as requested by Axel. It is later discovered that Penelope rejected Jeremy, though vaguely described, much to her best friend's shock. This led to a personal confrontation between the two, which may have involved more than just platonic feelings.

~~

Rich Kid in Disguise

The Phone Call

Disguise 37

"What do you wanna be, Selly?"

My eyes turned away from my feet buried under the sand and onto the eyes of the culprit of the act. She had her big brown eyes focused on me, her hair in a mess as the winds from the sea blew behind her. "Huh?" I asked, dumb from the sudden inquiry.

"I'm just asking," Duck shrugged as she continued to bury my feet deeper. "You're the wise one between us."

"You're not making any sense, Pen," I said, furrowing my eyebrows. "Why are you talking like an adult?"

Frowning, she quit her task and sat down facing me. "I don't wanna be a bird."

"What?"

"In my next life, silly Selly." She said, looking at me like I was stupid. My eyebrows furrowed even further, confused as to what this is all about. "I read it in a book somewhere, it's called..." Pen stopped to think. "I think something near a flower's name."

"A flower's name?" I repeated, suspicious. She nodded.

"Yes," She answered with certainty. I then took a stick lying within my reach and began to draw on the sand. "It was talking about how one's actions can decide who they will be in their next life. I don't really get it that well yet, but I don't wanna be a bird."

"And yet you believe in it?"

"My mom told me that I am free to believe what I want."

"We're children, Penelope," I told her, frowning. "My nana told me adults tell us lies just to satisfy us."

"Nana is an adult, Selly." She reminded proudly. "And you believe her 'lies'?"

I couldn't reply anything but a huff. "Well, why don't you wanna be a bird? I thought you loved birds."

"I kind of get the feeling birds aren't always free," Penelope answered. She sounded sad. "I don't think I would like that to be my next life."

Something was wrong. I looked up at her and saw tears silently drop from the corner of her eyes. "Penelope? Why are you crying?"

"Daddy's work is making mommy sad." She said slowly, in pain. "They fight a lot now. I know everyone in the house tries to hide it from me, but the big house doesn't hide everything."

"Oh." I didn't know what to say. She was incredibly sad; it was painful to see her like that. It was the first time she's shown me this. "Well..." I looked to the sea for help, searching for words to comfort her. "My mom and dad have fought too."

Sniffing, her eyes met mine. "Really?"

"Of course!" I beamed at her. "My little bro and I fight a lot too. You and I argue as well."

Her face dropped. "Selly, I think you have the wrong idea. This is much worse."

"Any fight is the same," I argued. I lifted my feet off the sand with great effort and crossed my legs after getting closer to her. Cupping her face in my hands, my smile remained. "I think it's normal for people to fight about something. My nana told me it's because we don't think alike sometimes."