Disguise 23: The Status Update

Rich Kid in Disguise

The Status Update

Disguise 23

-Penelope's POV-

"I'm sorry, what?" I asked Natalia, who seems to be enjoying my reaction. "Do you guys have some unbreakable oath or something?"

She shook her head as she changed the TV channel. I munched on my sandwich, a frown on my face. We were currently enjoying the first day of our winter break, also known as lounging ourselves with a pile of romcom movies I have already seen and a refrigerator full of food.

"We never bonded this much, you know?" She sighed as she wiped the tear that fell off her cheek. "It's like you're an angel given to us just to test our friendship."

I chuckled as I snatched the candies from her grasp. "Yup, definitely sugar rush." I muttered as I placed it beside me.

Natalia frowned at her sudden lack of sweets, but didn't protest. She crossed her arms before sighing. "Look, T. This might be the only time we'll have this together so I really want this to happen."

"Should I share the same enthusiasm?"

"Yes!" She exclaimed as she took my hands into hers. I gave her a long look. "I mean, Christmas is the season for family, right?"

"Okay, princess. We're not going anywhere near done with this because one, we are not family of any sorts. Two, I have already made plans. And lastly," I said, pausing to catch my breath. "You're gonna try a lot more harder to convince me."

She puckered her lips out, looking at me with pleading eyes. My face remained blank- a sign that I was serious about what I said. She sighed, dropping my hands down to my lap.

If she thought that I was going to agree spending my Christmas with the royal gang, she better be thinking straight. Thanksgiving with Natalia was already bad enough, how much more four more people in which three of them possibly already have guessed who Penelope Hale is?

"What plans do you have?"

"Huh?" I asked, confused. She looked at me warily, making me guess what she just asked. "Oh, I-I... ummm..."

What the heck should I say to that?

"Well?" She queried, her confidence back up as she sensed my panic. I glared at her, crossing my arms.

"I..." I trailed off. "I'm going to experience the life of a hermit crab. Or a grizzly bear. Whichever works best."

She gave me a 'are-you-serious' look. "That's it?"

"No," I responded. "I'll also be dating a lot of too-good-to-be-true people, aka hot fictional characters."

Natalia groaned as she threw a pillow to my face. I scowled when it hit my nose.

"You needn't do that." I grumbled.

"I need to, Tiff," She defended with a strained smile. "You're gonna try a lot harder to convince me not to convince you to join us in Christmas which, by the way, you have been declining for the millionth time."

"Another sign that I'm sure of not joining you-"

"Plus scratch fictional. There are hot guys in the world." She cut me off with a glare.

I snorted as I returned the deadly glare. "Oh yeah?" I asked in disbelief. "Who could that be?"

"Duh, there's A-" She stopped herself, making me raise my eyebrow skeptically. She coughed as the tips of her ears turned red. "Aaron Brewer."