chapter 5

9 years ago (y/n's 17)

i laid in my bed with my headphone on listening to music to drown out my parents arguing. they've been arguing for hours at this point.

i looked at the clock that sat on my wall. i sighed as i read the numbers knowing i had school tomorrow and i wasn't going to get any sleep. it was 2:44 AM.

i know most people would just locked there door, put there's headphones on and sleep through there parents fighting but here, it wasn't safe to sleep when there arguing. i learned that the hard way.

flash back:

"WAKE THE FUCK UP YOU FUCK UP!" i heard someone yell.

my eyes shot open and they hurt as the bright light over came my vision. but i didn't have time to focus on that as a hard slap hit me. my face went to the side the slap did.

i looked up seeing my dad stood in front of me. my mom in the doorway with her arms crossed and a...sad or disappointed look on her face.

"YOU GOT A, A- ON YOUR TEST?" he screamed at me. "HAVEN'T WE TOLD YOU ONLY A+'S ARE ALLOWED IN THIS HOUSE." another hard slapped followed by a backhand.

this went on for an hour.

flash back over:

i shivered as the memory came back to me and turned my music up as i heard a plate smash down stairs. then my music stopped and my siri read a message.

"from, lance, "unlock your door.". it said.

i sighed and stood up unlocking my door and opening it. there stood my brother, lance. he's 6'7, has black hair and brown-black eyes and he's one of the best people i ever met.

i opened the door wider and he walked in sitting on my bed. i closed and locked the door.

"why are the fighting again?" i asked and sat beside him.

he sighed. "about who ruined me first. because you know...-" "because your gay?" i asked. he sighed and nodded. we both sat in silence for a moment.

"i'm getting deployed in 8 months." he said. i looked over at him. "you get killed and ill kick your sorry ass." i said and hugged him. "i wouldn't expect anything less. i'll give you my car and you get the hell out of here." he said.

i nodded and let go of the hug. another silence. "i'll go to LA and find a job. your leaving 3 months after my birthday so i'll be 18. i'll be able to get pretty much any job i want." he let out a hum. "just be carful." i looked at him. "you to."

——————————-——————————-
2 years later (y/n is 19)

i sat on my couch after a long day of moving everything into my new house. i was watching tv when there was a knock at my door.

it was 9:30 at night.

i paused the tv and walked to the door. i looked out the peephole to see two men in uniform.

no...please to god no.

i felt tears in my eyes. "y/n Salvatore?" one of the men asked as i opened my door. i nodded. "may we come in?".

"i already know what this means." i said holding in a sob. "please miss. it's for your own safety." "goddamnit." i whisper and let them in.

"we regret to inform you that, 10 hours ago, mr.Lance Salvatore was killed in action. you were the only one on his sheet to notify his death to. he left you a message on paper and recorded." he handed me a small envelope. "he died a hero and will for ever be remembered as one." he said. "do you have some you can call?" i shook my head no.

the men shared a look.

"i'm ok- or as ok as i can be. i know what's going to happen please just...-

i let out another sob.

"- please leave." i said barely above a whisper.

"yes ma'am. please take care."

as soon as they left i broke down. i slid down the wall and hugged my legs to my chest and cried.

i cried for hours.

i looked at the envelope in my hand and opened it seeing a paper and small black tape recorder. i pulled out the paper first since it said open me first and opened it.

"dear y/n, if your reading this, i'm dead. i know i said i'd be carful and i'm sorry. i wouldn't be surprised if you dragged me back by my ear. i want you to know i love you. i know we've had our fights but i forgive you for every single one of them. and there's not one day i haven't thought about you here. i hope you left Diane and Elijah.

(the parents.)

please be safe and take care of yourself. i love you and i will never stop even when i take my last breath. your the best sister a guy could have. the only reason i made it this far in life was because you kept me alive. you are the reason i didn't kill my self and i don't blame you
for it. if you blame yourself for me, ill come back and hunt your ass.
i love you. forever and always.

-your big brother.

i sobbed harder as i read that. i slammed my head against the wall and clicked the recorder. it beeped then began playing.

"hey sis, i hope you just read the note and if not read it first please. i know your capable of making your own money but...i set you up a bank account when i left. it's for when i die. you get all my money and all my everything. in a about a week or two, you'll get a slip in the mail. take it to the bank. they'll know what to do. there should be enough in there to last you about 4 or 5 years. i was always the rich one"

he laughed.

"i love you and i miss you. please take care.-"

i heard him make a kiss noise.

-" till we met on the other side. which better be a few years. i love you. goodbye y/n."

i threw the recorder against the wall and cried until the sun came up.