chapter 14

this is 2 days later so no baby sitting chapter.

"Two firearms for two gift cards. Thanks for making our streets a little safer." west said giving a lady a give card in return for a gun.

"So, we're just gonna destroy these? What if one was used in a crime?" Lucy asks.

"Hey, "no questions asked" means just that. And it's the best way to get people to turn in their unregistered weapons." i said.

"That and the $100 gift cards." Nolan says then, looking up seeing an older lady struggling with a suitcase. "Oh. Hang on a second. Sorry. Let me help you with those." he rush's over and help her.

"Oh. Thank you,....Officer Nolan." she said.

"Yeah. And you are?" he said.

"I'm Alma."

"Nice to meet you. are all these yours?" he asked as he began to drag her suitcase over, her following pursuit.

"Oh, no, no. They - They were my father's. He was a paratrooper back in World War II. And when he came back from the war, he brought all this with him. I've been carrying it with me since he passed in '74." she said.

Nolan unwraps a rifle wrapped in a towel and examines it.

"Oh, Alma this is in good condition. You could get real money for this." he said.

"Oh, no. I wouldn't know where to start. Besides, I'm moving in with my son's family. I don't want these around my grandkids."

"Well, we are here to help." Nolan unwraps a pair of pistols.

"Oh, those were his pistols. He brought them from Germany to San Francisco. And that one there is Ginny." She gestures toward a square, flat device that's been unveiled in Nolan's hand.

"Alma, is that a land mine?" he asks.

"Yes, a claymore, I think. From his time in Vietnam." she said.

west picked up the phone. "Uh, can we get a bomb squad to the front lobby? Now."

i walked slowly around to the front of the reception area.

"Well, I'm so glad you brought this in, because these are extremely unstable. Tell you what. I'm gonna stay here to dispose of this. Officer Salvatore is gonna get you to a safe distance, and then we'll get you those gift cards we talked about."

"Oh, uh, what about the ones in my trunk?"

Just then there's an explosion out in the parking lot, rattling the room and the people in it.

——————————————————

i was making some coffee, leaning against my counter when my phone buzzed. "mandatory emergency callback of all patrol." the text read.

i sighed and ran in the stairs. "fucking job."

——————————————————

"Thank you for coming in on your day off. The Vice President is making an unscheduled visit to our city. So it's all hands on deck. Agent Danvers." Captain Anderson spoke from Greys podium.

"Thank you, Captain. As always, the Secret Service appreciates the LAPD's assistance in clearing and securing "Redwood's" route. These are your Operation Plan Manuals." Agent Danvers spoke.

then, wests cell buzzes and he looks down at it.

"Each officer's name has been listed under a specific quadrant and zone, along with your responsibilities. Your watch commander will liaison with me throughout the day as issues arise." she said as people began to pass out papers.