chapter 11

Captain Andersen stood at a podium in front of everyone, delivering a statement to the press.

"At 11:15 this morning, the LAPD engaged in a pursuit of number one on the FBI's most wanted list. All departmental resources were brought to bear on this dangerous fugitive, including our most decorated officer, Kaydence Patton." she said with a smile.

———flashback———

Bishop, a helicopter and a couple of patrol cars are chasing someone who is running through the hills.

West comes driving along in a golf cart decorated as a patrol car, with a young girl dressed as a police officer. The girl, Kaydence patton, jumps out of the cart and runs up to the suspect, who has been cornered and who was actually just john in street clothes.

"On your knees, dirt bag. Hands behind your back." she said and Nolan drops to his knees as Kaydence gets handcuffs from West.

"Dirt bag?" Nolan whispered to West. Kaydence snaps the cuffs on and kicks Nolan in the leg.

Kaydence leads Nolan into the precinct in handcuffs and hands him over to Grey, to much applause and cheering.

"On behalf of Make-A-Wish, the City of Los Angeles, and the LAPD, we hereby thank Honorary Police Officer Kaydence Patton."
Andersen said making everyone clap and cheer again.

——————————————————

i sat at my table in the briefing room, by myself as usual scrolling on my phone. i had gotten more texts from Diane and Trey. i was thinking about what Matt said and maybe i should tell Grey or at least him again.

i looked behind me seeing him talking to someone else with a smile. he looked at me and smiled wider. my eyes widen from being caught looking. i smiled back and quickly turned away as Grey waked in.

"All right, grab your seats. A special day here at Mid-Wilshire. In fact, we're gonna start off by playing a game I like to call "What is a patrol officer's least favorite assignment?" Officer Lopez, why don't you get us started." he spoke from his podium.

"Easy. Guarding a dead body." she said getting a few laughs.

"Solid one. Officer Bradford?" he gestured to Tim.

"Canvassing in the rain." he said getting some hums of agreement.

"Bishop."

"Driving the drunk wagon. It's just nasty."  she said.

"Without a doubt. And yet, for me, the absolute worst is the VIP ride along." he said as he walked back to the front writing "vip ride along." on the white bored.

"Why? That sounds like fun." Nolan asked. i sighed as i heard that.

"Officer Bishop, would you like to inform your Boot why the ride along tops my list?" Grey asked.

"Because if anything happens to your VIP, it's your ass. So, you take the lowest of low-risk calls. It makes a 12-hour shift feel twice as long." she said.

"Plus, you're trapped in a car all day with an entitled prima donna coated in body spray." Tim said.

"Officer Nolan, you want to take a guess why we're playing this game?" Grey asked as he stood in front of Nolan, Jackson and Lucy's table.

"Because you're giving me the VIP ride along?" Nolan asked.

"No." Grey said.

"Really?" Nolan asked.

"No. You absolutely got the ride along. He's waiting in the Captain's office for you now."
Grey said making everyone laugh.

"Sir, is it too late to ask for a sick day?"  Bishop asked.