chapter 9

me and Tim were chasing a suspect in the shop when i was about to hit another car.

"Look out!" Tim yelled. i suvred the shop and we ended up sliding to a halt on the street.

upside down.

"That work out the way you planned it, Boot?"

—————————————————

"That's what happens when you try to be big policeman at home. You end up on the couch. Tim rode with Hawke back in the day." Bishop
said to Nolan as they walked up to me and Tim.

"Damn straight. Craziest six months of my life." he said. "looks like you took after him then." i mumbled. he looked at me and sighed.

"Hmm. Nolan hung out with him last night." Bishop said.

"Hawke and Nolan?" Tim said suspiciously.

"Oh, yeah. They were tight at the Academy. They bonded over their shared love of old stuff."
i said.

"The Beastie Boys isn't old." Nolan defended.

"They formed before I was born." i said as Grey walked in, causing everyone to go to their seats.

"All right, everyone take a seat. Got some catching up to do. Let's go. First, let's congratulate Officer Salvatore for allowing her T.O. to finish his coffee before rolling their vehicle." he said as he stood at his podium, making everyone laugh.

"I see "training" is working out for you." he continued. "All right, more pressingly, midnight shift was flooded with calls last night, and they left us with their mess. Let's get started. Our detectives are working a homicide in Larchmont Village, but there are witnesses that still need to be interviewed. Bishop and Nolan, you'll take that. And Burglary has got a search warrant that Patrol didn't get around to. Bradford and Salvatore, you'll take that."

"Come on, why can't Burglary serve their own damn warrants?" Tim said.

"Because they don't have the vim and vigor you have, Officer Bradford. This is yours." he waked over to me and sat down some papers "All the faces. Don't worry. I have pending calls for everybody! All right, let's go knock 'em out and show the late shift how real police work is done."

—————————————————

"All right, we're serving a search warrant. You see door hinges?" Tim asked as we walked down the halls of an apartment complex.

"the door opens outwards towards us." i stated.

"And what's a "fatal funnel"?" he asked.

"The first three feet in any doorway."

"Not bad. Here's the real test. Of all the things Burglary told us about our suspect LeShawn Halvorsen, what's most important?" he said as he read the name off some paper.

"uh, history of fighting with police."

"Wrong. This guy's been served seven search warrants, spent half his life on parole."

"Uh, I'm sorry. I'm not sure I follow." i said hesitantly.

"He's been searched a lot. He knows what doesn't work, so to find his stash, you'll have to think like a crook. Can you do that?"

"Of course." i said only to get a questioning eyebrow raise. "You don't think I can?" i questioned.

"I think you were raised to analyze bad guys." Tim said and started walking away. "not be one, and to be a great cop, you got to have a little outlaw in you. Hinges?" he asked as we stopped in front of a door. if only he knew I'm literally a run away.