chapter 15

i was sat at the table in my dining room, my new dog, zeus, eating his food by the door. zeus is a great pyrenees.

he turned around to look at me, his snout all wet from him drinking water

he turned around to look at me, his snout all wet from him drinking water. "hey baby." i cooed at him. his tail waged as he turned back to his food. i smiled and looked at the time on my phone. i sighed as i stood up and grabbed my bag off the couch.

"ill be back later ok?" i said as i crouched down next to him and scratched his head. his tail wagged again. "you know where your doggy door is and your toys. be a good boy." i smiled at him as i stood up and walked towards the door.

★ ★ ★ ★

"All right, we know what today is. The most dangerous day of our year." Grey spoke from his podium.

"Valentine's Day, sir? Really? Not Black Friday, not New Year's?" nolan raised his hand as he spoke.

"That's right, Officer Nolan. Breakups and broken hearts. Jealousy and revenge. All make for a perfect storm of heightened emotion and dangerous situations. Hell, sometimes violence can find you minding your own business at dinner." Grey answered.

"Sir, again, I can't tell you how sorry I am." Nolan said.

"I'm not the one that needs the apologies, Officer Nolan."

"Yes, sir. Please apologize to your wife for me. If you'd like me to make you another reservation -" Nolan got cut off.

"I traded shifts for last night off. The night you ruined." Grey said.

"Uh, sir? I don't see my T. O." i said as i looked around seeing zero sign of Tim.

"Officer Bradford's taken a personal day." he answers.

"You're kidding. Tim hasn't taken a personal day in his entire life." Lopez spoke.

"Be that as it may, he's off today. So, salvatore, you'll be assigned to the front desk. All right. That's it. Everybody be safe out there."

★ ★ ★ ★

with tim.

Isabel is waiting on the steps as tim comes walking up to her. She looks healthy.

"Hi. I didn't think you'd come." she says.

"Yeah, I almost pulled a U-turn. Twice."

"Glad you didn't." she chuckles.

"You look great." he says.

"For someone who got shot in the head." she says.

"No, I-I mean you look like you again. How are you feeling?"

"The beginning was really rough, but it would've been worse if I didn't already go through withdrawal in the hospital." she says.

"I'm proud of you for seeing it through." he smiles.