CHAPTER 12- LIFE TURNING TO HELL

Haseena's sleep was ruined by the loud alarm ringing in her mobile. As soon as she opened her eyes, she saw a pillow fly to her face.

"Ama band kijiye" Karishma yelled, half-sleepily from the bed.

The mobile was down on the floor as Haseena had to sleep on the couch uncomfortably. She kept the pillow down and searched for her mobile before she switched the alarm off.

She was still tired, the couch was barely enough for her tall self. She couldn't turn as she wished to. She had the habit of tossing and turning the whole night, but because of the couch she had fallen down thrice.

She saw the time, it was six in the morning. She had two hours to do her morning routine and go to the important meeting she had with DSP, so she got up and went downstairs.

Around forty-five minutes later, Karisma got up. She saw the clock, it was six forty five. She had to be in the thana by nine. Karishma looked at the couch, expecting to find Haseena there but she didn't. Then she remembered the alarm clock ringing in the morning. Haseena had mentioned yesterday that she had a meeting to attend.

"Ab dekhte hai apki meeting kese achi jati hai" Karishma said with a smirk and got up to start her day.

She could smell the deliciousness from upstairs as she began to descend the stairs. It was Ammi, cooking in the kitchen. But she couldn't find Haseena there.

"Ammi Haseena kahan hai?" Karishma asked, looking around.

"Jog–" she was about to say while chopping the onions but just then, the door opened and there came Haseena.
"Lo agyi, tumhari Haseena" Ammi said with a smile.

But the words just went unheard. Haseena had come home glistening from the sweat. She came and wiped it by the towel on the sofa. The few strands of hair sticking to her neck made her look appealing, even though Karishma did not realise it.

"Ammi nashte mai kya hai?" Haseena asked.

"Pohe" Ammi answered. "Jao naha ke ao nashta taiyaar hai"

"Ammi aap kyu kar rahin hain. Hume utha deti na" Karishma said, now coming out of her trance and turning towards Ammi.

"Taki hamare khane me zeher mila sake?" Haseena mumbled to herself.

"Kya kahan apne?" Karishma asked loudly and Haseena gulped.

"Nah–nahi toh, kuch bhi nhi" Haseena  said with an awkward smile on her face and went upstairs to take a bath.

But she did not realise that there was a surprise waiting for her upstairs. On the bed, placed neatly was her uniform. Watching this from the door, Haseena was surprised as she had not placed her uniform on the bed before leaving the thana. How was it here now?

She went near the uniforms only to find a horrifying sight. Her uniform was painted red in the middle. She gasped, taking the uniform in her hand and went to the bathroom.

She poured some water on the red patch and some detergent before she scrubbed it with all her might. She tried scrubbing it more, she spent the next 20 minutes to clean her uniform. It was too late until she realised that nothing could be done.

It was an important meeting, a very important one which could also resulting in her promotion. Not showing up on uniform would only raise questions regarding her efficiency for her duty.

But she had not other choice. She grabbed a pair of formals from her wardrobe and went to bath.

__________________________

"Ammi ap bahut acha khana banati hai" Karishma said, eating the delicious poha Ammi had prepared.

"Yeh Haseena ka favourite hai" Ammi said. "Yeh ladki ayi kyu nhi abhi tak"
She said looking at the stairs.