Chapter Four

The Castle grounds were alive with the vibrancy of a royal joust, the Merrick family signature blue banners fluttering in the breeze, and the distant sounds of trumpets announcing the upcoming spectacle. Alex, surrounded by the whole Gaskarth family, welcomed Jack with a warm smile as they settled into their front-row seats.

Alex kept sneaking glances in Jack's direction, a slight smile lingering. When Jack woke him and Annabelle up this morning, Alex was flooded with all the memories of him telling Jack the truth. And when Jack and Alex were alone, Alex was a bit more romantic towards Jack. The casual lingering touch, Alex even gave him a kiss Good morning when he saw him in his wardrobe later that Morning. Jack seemed to be fighting it a little bit, but he did accept the affections from Alex.

Alex was a little bothered that Jack seemed completely distracted, wasn't even paying attention to them at all, since they arrived at the castle grounds. He was clearly looking for his soulmate. Frankly Alex was anxious to see who it was.

The herald's voice echoed through the arena, introducing each contender, and a hush fell over the crowd as the prince Zack Merrick, a formidable jouster, was announced. With a large uproar of cheers, and female squeals. Zack confidently rode in on the back of his horse. Jack watched in silent awe. Proud of Zack already. As he made his way to the jousting area, Zack approached Jack, holding a single red rose.

"For my guest of honor," Zack grinned, handing the rose to Jack. "Wish me luck."

Jack accepted the rose with a smile and a blush. "Red roses are my favorite, Break a lance, Zack, And be safe out there, please... I need you to come back." Jack reached a hand up to caress Zack's face while everyone had their eyes on the prince. The entire crowd watched as Jack and Zack shared their tender moment. Jack heard angry whispers of Annabelle and Serena, and all the others in the crowd. "Prince Zack must of found his soulmate. He never hands out a token of affection such as this. "

As Jack reached down to caress Zack's face. Zack saw the bruising on Jack's wrist. And there was new bruising on his face from the punch he recieved this morning from Annabelle as she was angry he was coming with them today. Zack was unable to see anything in the dark last night. So, he noticed nothing. But in the light of day, he was angry.

"Jack. Why are you bruised up, and what happened to your face." Zack cried out in anger. He immediately turned his attention to Alex. "YOU ARE HIS KEEPER AND ARE SUPPOSED TO PROTECT HIM."'

Jack pulled his hand back. "Zack.. your highness please... not here."

Alex looked at Jack. "I thought you said it was from... Dimitri and you... but you weren't home last night for new bruises." Alex looked at Jack confused and hurt.

Jack shook his head "This is so embarrassing. Your highness, I can explain later. Please."

Zack looked around as they were anticipating him entering the joust. He had little time. "Well I don't care who this Dimitri is but please stick around after the jousting tournament. I would like to speak to you after My win. I want to make you proud Jack. And I want people to know I am doing it for my soulmate. But I'm not afraid to hide my potential love for you." Zack said pointedly as he glanced at Alex.

Alex narrowed his eyes. As he was about to speak, Gregory Alex's father, spoke up this time. "Your highness. I've got money on this tournament. I know Jack and I would like to see you win." He spoke, trying to lighten the mood.

Zack smiled at Jack. "Can I have a kiss for luck?" Jack shook his head bashfully, but he leaned down and kissed Zack's cheek.

"Please tell me everything later. I never want anyone laying a hand on you. I meant when I said I protect what is mine." Zack whispered so only Jack could hear.