Chapter Seventeen

TRIGGER WARNING: DEATH ,BLOOD

**10 years later**

The kingdom of Adoronda was in a state of Panic. A knight on a horse just arrived with terrible news. He burst through the castle doors demanding to see The Princes's and the Princess.

King Consort Jack. is dead. King Zachary is severely wounded. With an unknown time of return. He is unable to travel and is seeking healing with a physician and herbologist in the kingdom of Deltana.

Edward,Ella, and Phillip were delivered the news.

"What happened?" Edward asked stoically. Trying to remain calm. When really his heart was breaking apart.

The knight winded, wheezed out. "We were attacked in the countryside. A camp of bandits... they attacked the king's carriage first we all tried to fight them off. But it was a bloodbath. Rian and Daniel perished as well."

Ella sobbed. "No."

Phillip, pulled his sister too him. Embracing her. "Ella, it will be ok. We will move forward. We have to. We need to bring father home."

"Oh father must be so distraught." Ella said through her tears.

Statesmen and Clerics entered the room, they all knew what they are there for.

"Prince Edward, we know this is difficult, but someone must take the King's place while he heals.

Edward nodded. He hadn't moved since the news of his parents respective conditions was delivered. "Why... yes... ummm... I have to go to the kings study. Phillip will you send for the Gaskarth household as Sir Alex should be told in person of papa's death, and of the king's condition."

Phillip nodded. Taking Ella by the hand. Leaving the room. "Understood your highness."

——————————————————————-

"What are we going to without him?" Ella now 26. Still unmatched. asked, her voice laced with Sadness.

"We will endure. Edward is acting king for now.... what is important is that we will be there for father when he is able to return home." Phillip, 28, said. Trying to reassure everyone as best he could.

His very pregnant wife Marie, pregnant with their 3rd child sat next to him.  This child was Jack and Zack's fifth grandchild. Edward had married his soulmate 5 years ago, and he has 2 children now.

The three of them were sitting, nearly silent in the tea room. Suddenly the door burst open and Alex Gaskarth ran over to his Daughter. Princess Marie.

"Darling please tell me what is happening. I had knights at the door demanding I come to the castle. Are you ok?. Is the child?" The 53 year old man stated, distress evident.

"Please sit papa." Marie urged.

Alex sat in the chair next to her. Realizing that something was gravely wrong. "Is Jack dead?" He said, voice hoarse, as he was worried the love of his life was gone.

While they were no longer in love. Alex always loved Jack. And always will. Jack was His love of his life in more ways than one. And truly everyone knew it.

Marie hung her head. "Yes."

Alex let out a Gut wrenching cry, that echoed in the room.

"No. He can't be. No. Why him. It should've been anyone but him."  Alex screamed.

His feelings were complicated and irrational and everyone knew it. Alex just lost the man he loved. His person. The one that got away.The only person to mean more to him than his own children.