Chapter Nineteen

*10 years later*

Jack was now 20. He was working in the stables at the House of  Gaskarth. He had been so happy growing up with Alex. (Jack below)

He was lucky his best friend was still alive at 67

He was lucky his best friend was still alive at 67. He had kept his secret. Jack had been keeping tabs on the Kingdom, he had 7 grandchildren l(3 of which he shared with Alex as Marie and Phillip had children) now, Zack has never remarried. Which Jack was secretly so grateful for.

"Jack.. I have something to tell you." Alex said apprehensively as he entered the stables.

In his older age, Alex didn't move as fast, but he was still healthy. Jack suspected Alex would live a long life.  Jack recieved all of his news regarding his family from Alex. He didn't dare go to the castle, in fear of someone seeing his mark. And the times that any of the royal family came to the home of Gaskarth, Jack tried to hide in the shadows. Or stay in the stables. The only one he's ever interacted with was Edward. Edward looked suspiciously, but didn't really question. He saw Zack there several times, but he just cried as he watched Zack and Alex together, heartbroken he couldn't join them.

Jack stopped brushing Calpernia. The horse he was working with.

"Who is it?" Jack asked solemnly, Alex's tone made Jack fear one of his loved ones was dying.

"It's Zack actually." Alex said scratching the back of his neck awkwardly.

Jack dropped the brush, having mixed emotions. "Oh... his illness has gotten worse?"

Alex nodded. "I just left the castle. Marie said that was probably my final goodbye."

Jack tried not to react to strong. "Ummm... how long."

"Hours." Alex said plainly.

A soft smile came across Jack's face. "Oh. I am so sad the kingdom is losing the best king they may have ever known.... But that means...."

"That means he is coming back to you. He's coming home." Alex said with a gentle tone.

Jack went wide eyed. "What will we do, how will it happen? Where will he live? How? I need to bathe. I stink from the stables."

Alex laughed. "George technically gets my home when I pass but there is nothing wrong with building on the property...if you and Zack want to live here. Or you could fix your mother's home?"

Jack smiled. "We could fix mother's home, hire the local blacksmith,woodsman, and our own work.. would be nice to have a journey like that."