Chapter Sixteen

TRIGGER WARNING: SEXUAL CONTENT

**16 YEAR TIME JUMP**

Sixteen years had passed since Jack and Zack opened their hearts and home to Edward, Philip, and Ella. They were now 41 and 42 respectively.

The once little children had grown into young adults, each carving their own path in life. Edward, now twenty, carried the weight of future kingship on his shoulders, he and his father Zack were almost identical in personality. Regal. Stoic. Immensely protective.

Philip, at eighteen, navigated the threshold of adulthood with determination. He was like Jack. Passionate and helpful. He had replaced Jack as the people's prince for sure.

Ella, the youngest at sixteen, bloomed into a compassionate and poised young woman under Jack and Zack's nurturing care. She was spoiled rotten in the best way. Zack was right when he predicted that she would be his weakness and it has proven true. The children never wanted for anything and took to royalty nicely.

The princes, and princess of the kingdom were well loved and respected. Jack as their primary caregiver, ensured that they were kind and gentle. While Zack is a compassionate king and made sure his children lead with just and compassionate minds.

The Merrick House in the kingdom of Adoranda had changed in bonds and connections over the years.

Zack's mother had bid her final farewell, losing Queen Sariah left a hole in all of their hearts. She loved her grandchildren deeply. And her children were her pride and joy.

Zack and Jack cherished her dearly. Rebecca, Zack's sister and a princess in her own right, had found her soulmate in Gideon, bringing a new chapter of love and family into their lives.

Meanwhile, Alex, a lifelong friend, found himself shouldering the responsibility of raising his children alone after the loss of his beloved Annabelle to pinned two years ago.  Since she was older than him, sadly no one was surprised.
Alex was now the head of the Gaskarth household as his father has since passed.

On a sunny afternoon, Alex gathered his children, George, nineteen and Marie, seventeen, to join Jack and Zack at the castle for a rare reunion. Despite the close friendship of Jack and Alex, the demands of studies and royal duties had kept the Merrick and Gaskarth children apart. Making them not see each other as often.

Today, however, they came together to celebrate Philip's eighteenth birthday, relishing the simple moments.

As they sat down for lunch, conversation flowed freely until Philip and Marie, almost simultaneously, voiced complaints of headaches.

"Papa, may I go please see the herbologist? My head is throbbing, I must of spent too much time in the sun." Phillip complained.

Jack immediately went to his son's side, feeling him for a fever and inspected any problems.

"Papa. My head hurts too. And the back of my neck is itchy. I may have run into poison ivy or something in the garden earlier." Marie complained.

A moment of concern gripped the table as they both began to itch at their soulmate marks—Marie's a black butterfly and Philip's a white caterpillar. Speculations had lingered over the years, but the sudden activation of their marks confirmed what Jack, Zack, and Alex had suspected: Philip and Marie were bonded soulmates.

Zack, Alex and Jack smiled knowingly at each other. "It's going to be ok Phillip I promise. This feeling will pass. Do you remember from your studies what the symptoms of soulmate bonding are?" Jack asked tenderly.

Phillip nodded. "Yes but with mine on the back of my neck it is always hard to see."

Alex nodded. "Marie, honey, will you lift your hair and show Prince Phillip the back of your neck."