t h i r t y - f i v e

I look over my shoulder quickly to see who it is and to my surprise it’s her. “What are you doing out here?” I ask as I take a hit from the bottle again.

She says nothing, her eyes are fixed on the bottle in my hand, she seems concerned.

“Go back inside” I say, but she doesn’t reply and just stands there, looking at my face as I take another swig from the bottle.

She takes a step closer towards me as she says “Yeah, you wanted me to stay with you inside, now you want me to leave again,"

"I don't want to see you go with him" I reply quietly still taking a hit from the bottle while she stares at my face as if she's trying to read my mind.

"Why were you such a dick after our kiss that day huh" she asks her voice is firm but a hint of annoyance in it.

"I had my reasons" I reply.

"Reasons?" she lets out a chuckle, it was a bitter laugh, "What reasons could possibly exist to be rude to someone after you kissed them?"

"Look..." I pause, how do I tell her everything that's been going on? How do I tell her everything that's going on with my family and Dark lord, and now that my brother's seen her I couldn't risk anything, if I tell her I drag her in this mess with me. But I don't want to push her away.

"I can't tell you" I say in a soft voice.

"You want me to go back to your side, then you act all rude right after we kiss and you can't even tell me why?" she says angrily, "I don't get what you want, do you want me to hate you again or what,"

"I don't get it" she continues "One minute you kiss me, and the second you push me away? What was the point of that kiss?"

Before I say anything, she grabs the bottle out of my hand. "That kiss had a meaning to me" she continues "I thought it meant we were moving past all this, but clearly that did not happen since you keep pushing me away."

"It did have a meaning to me" I reply "but things are too complicated right now" and the worst thing is, I can't even tell her why

"Complicated? How complicated are they that you couldn't even speak to me normally after a goddamn kiss?" she asks angrily, her tone was harsh, but she's trying not to yell.

"This is why I didn't want to say anything" I reply as I look away, her words sting like a needle "When I'm nice to you, you think I'm misleading you, and when I'm being a dick, you hate me. I just can't win here."

"I don't get you! You kissed me, and then got all cold and mean, I did nothing to deserve that, so why?" she asks once again, this time her anger seems to be growing along with the pain that I'm causing her.

I can't bear to see her like that

I take the bottle from her hand throw it down on the grass and my hands cup her face between my palms "It wasn't that I wanted to push you away, I had to"

"I could not risk anything" I explain "and if I told you the reason, you would have had more questions, and I just could not answer those"

"Risking what?" she asks, she seems so lost, it's tearing me apart not explaining what's happening with me to her, to keep my burden to myself and not drag her into this.

"Risking things just getting complicated" I reply "things are complicated enough as it is, if I tell you anything, I'm going to drag you into a mess I don't want you to get involved in"

"But it's already complicated" she says looking me in the eye "We kissed, so things are already messy, I just want to understand why, is that so hard" she continues