Codex15111

Codex15111

He plugged into the motorized scooter so it would remotely steer through the streets. The morning sun glared at him on the way to school, making the teen squint against its brightness. He'd rather be in front of his console playing Death Strike or chatting with friends. Anything to take his mind off the strange girl.

One small part of him worried New State might record these thoughts, but he didn't rank high enough for anyone in government to care. His parents were a different story. He searched CHIP's database as he navigated along, reading the information scrolling before his eyes on the rebellion and the resistance. He limited the search, staying away from controversial data, to avoid teachers flagging him or giving him demerits when he arrived. The cave dwellers, maladjusted individuals who failed successful CHIP implantation and hated technology, had revolted against New State's technocratic government.

They lived like rats in a large underground complex. They had been tolerated by New State because they weren't a threat to modern technological society, but in the last few years increased violence and destruction had caused New State to react, expanding the Hell's Phantom Program. Technology, weaponry, medicine, food, and other essentials continued to be stolen from the prosperous and industrious New State to fund their terror campaign. The city's leaders had been forgiving, but the Grounders grew more savage, violent, and destructive every year.

Codex parked his scooter and entered the school, frustrated at the lack of useful information.

A message blinked before his eyes. Binary9942 asked if he wanted to console after school.

He replied 'yes,' happy to sit at home on his console and interact with friends via virtual reality portal. It was what he did most days and a needed distraction. He wondered if Beta43930 would be there too. Her avatar was smoking hot.

His reprieve was short-lived, mind returning to the strange girl's visit and the possibility of their rebellion. She didn't appear maladjusted or violent. She had been slim and petite under all the bulky, dark clothes. Cute too, when not threatening him with death. He'd have to ask her about a failed CHIP implant if she returned and hoped she would. Codex entered the classroom and plugged into the desk. The countdown to today's lesson started. His mind went blank as new information uploaded.

The school day went like all the others before it. Information uploaded, he passed the assessments on the material and began his graduation project. By completing one of the offered options, New State could correctly place him in an occupation. Hoping to follow in his parent's footsteps, he opted for the sciences, and created a research project using surveys and interviews on the benefits of being connected to the interface for twenty out of the twenty-four hours each day.

When the evening as the bells chimed for curfew, Codex plugged in. He and his friends had planned a hunt. While he'd rather watch for the stranger to come back, he couldn't risk not plugging in. Anyway, he'd told her to come back the next day. Hopefully, she wouldn't bring the rebel army to his house and slaughter everyone in his family. She didn't appear the type, but he had never met a Grounder before. Her friendliness, if you could even call it that, was a possible façade.

A gorgeous night for a virtual reality hunt; the moon shone bright enough to light the woods where they would start. It was summer and the foliage was thick, but the weather temperate. The game was a simple one: find the magical items and kill off the other opponents searching for them. Unfortunately, the woods held traps and tricks and could just as easily kill a person than another player.

He excelled at these challenges. Once everyone logged in, Codex ran for the woods. The first hour of the game, he got his bearings. A large meadow with flowers and a stream took up at least three acres of land after he'd exited the dense forest. While a good place to spot his opponents, it held little cover. He was tall, and even crouching behind the swaying grasses would leave him too exposed. Both the woods and the meadow were hemmed in by a steep mountain. He'd played the game enough to have learned at least one of the magical items rested in a damp, dark cave.

Planning a course of action, he needed to score a magical item to rid himself of an opponent. The ones in the forest might be easier to find, but that's where the other players would linger. He'd hit the cave first, searching through the field for anything of use.

His thoughts turned toward the girl once again. How could someone like her survive outside society? Her world must be so disgusting, disordered, and dirty. Yet, she appeared the opposite. Her clothes fit well and highlighted her athleticism. Her long, dark hair had been braided, with only a few wisps straying from the plait. Intelligence, in her words, was obvious.

Codex, distracted by the thoughts of the stranger, failed to intuit the other player behind him. The pain of the rock crushing his skull sent him tumbling into oblivion.

When his eyes snapped open, he realized he'd lost the game. The first time since he started playing as a child that he'd been eliminated so quickly.