Wren

Loud applause erupted from inside the cavernous room. The longer-than-normal meeting was getting rowdy. She was always proud to watch her father, one of the five main leaders, up at the podium. They were unveiling a plan involving New State today, and Wren was excited to hear about it, but Rafe began with a history lesson.

She'd already been schooled on every major point in Grounder history by him and didn't want to hear it again, not that she had a choice. The people loved it! The rebellion, the righteous indignation, the hate of New State. Her father loved to get the crowd excited about their past and their future.

He was a natural leader and historian. His love of giving speeches was only slightly ahead of his love of evenings pouring over ancient books, recounting major world wars and battles, and telling the tale of how the people ended up in modern-day New State.

Today the lecture wasn't for her ears alone, and while many of the people already knew the story by heart, it was obvious her father thought it important to remind them of what they were fighting against.

His robust voice echoed through the crowds. "It wasn't a world war, nuclear invasion, or even environmental destruction that took our society down." He wasn't the tallest of the leaders, but he had charisma and intelligence. People loved him and followed him willingly, not only because of his understanding of history and politics but his genuine caring.

"Your dad's amazing," Mason said.

"I agree, but never tell him." Wren put a hand on Mason's arm. "He has a big enough head on his shoulders already."

Rafe's voice rose above her whisper. "It was technology. It didn't happen with a boom or a sudden blast. Instead, slowly, lecherously, technology crept into our lives and the lives of our children and changed them. While many people in New State would say for the better, we, the Grounders understand how it's a lie. Technology alters populations. People are not individuals anymore but consumers. They are only useful when they consume technology. New State monitors how much they spend each month, and worse, how much they are worth in bionic body parts."

Mason nudged her in the side. "How many times has he practiced this speech on you?"

Wren couldn't suppress the rough laugh. "I could give it." She turned back and mimed the words.

"Schools hailed the use of new technologies, ignoring the negative changes in students they brought on," her father continued. "From smartphones to CHIP implants, students lost the ability to make eye contact, and hold basic conversations with teachers or their peers without computers, teens who would rather text than speak. When they did write, symbols and abbreviations rather than well-developed thoughts became the norm. Even this was considered acceptable after a time. Only the elite stayed aloof from this terminal technology."

"Here it comes," Wren said.

"What?"

"His big moment. His main point for the day. Listen."

Rafe made a fist and pounded it into the palm of his open hand. "Our youth turned away, not only from each other but from parents and loved ones. Lack of emotions and lack of communication led to school shootings and increased suicides. Finally, the governments all over the world got together in an attempt to control the problem, but it was too late."

The crowd murmured assent.

"They seized control of the populace, taking drastic measures. Instead of limiting the use of technology, they praised its virtues, morphing people and machines, adding artificial intelligence chips into humans at birth, and monitoring adults with these devices. The government, in essence, limited free thought and education but told everyone it was unlimited thanks to technology. Then the world went awry. The New State introduced and extolled the virtues of 'hooking up.'"