Codex15111

The shades were drawn tight. The sting of a pebble against the glass startled him. The sound grew the second and third time. She must be launching larger rocks.

Soft curtains fluttered as he swished them aside. Outside, they waited. Codey watched Wren wipe her palms against her pants before poking his head out.

The older man appeared tired and sad.

Their eyes met, and anger replaced the other emotions. "I told you not to come back," he craned his neck to better view Wren outside the window. His voice sounded robotic, dead of any cadence, even to his ears.

"I want to help," she said.

"There's nothing you can do. Go away. There's nothing anyone can do." He began to slam the window closed.

"Wait!" Wren's words rang loud in the quiet of the neighborhood.

"Quiet," Codey warned her. "Do you want to get us arrested as well?"

"I brought my father. He's a leader and a good man. He can help."

Codey moaned. "Just my luck. The first stranger I meet and invite inside is a rebel princess."

"I'm not a princess."

"Close enough," Codey spat.

"Are you going to invite us in or do you want to come outside?" Rafe asked, words pleasant and controlled.

"Fine." Defeat highlighted Codey's features. "They took my mom. What else can they do to me?"

"You don't want the answer to that question," Rafe said, moving out of the shadows.

"I'm sure I don't." Codey drew his head back from the window. "Hold tight. I'll be right there." He disappeared into the room. A light flicked on in the interior.

The door opened, and Wren and Rafe entered the housing pod. "I'm Rafe, Wren's dad. I'm guessing you're acquainted with Wren better than I'd like."

Codey sputtered. "She showed up here."

Wren interrupted. "He let us in his house. Don't start interrogating him now."

"Sorry." Rafe pointed to a couch. "Can we sit?"

"I guess." Codex made a sweeping gesture with his hands toward the white furniture.

"We want to help," Rafe said.

"Your daughter did more than enough." Codey's gaze lingered on the floor.

"Listen to my dad," Wren begged.

"Fine." Codey sat on a chair only to stand up seconds later.

Wren sank deeper into the cushions next to her father. "Tell my dad what happened to your parents."

"I had limited intel about what they were doing or why they were arrested." The wretched shrug of his shoulders highlighted his sadness. "When my dad returned, he told me they traced my mother's clothing to the raid. They have sensors for dry cleaning. POOC tracked them into the desert before the sensors were depleted. I never thought of that when I gave them to you."

Wren's nails dug into her palm. "I'm sorry. Go on."

"My mom texted me about dinner, and I was finishing up a virtual reality game when I got an urgent alert from her via CHIP. She said the police were in the house with an arrest warrant for her and my dad. It was so stupid of me. I didn't even read the alert at the time because I was so involved in the game. I didn't want to lose points or die in the game. I ignored the message. Maybe if I hadn't, I could have done more."