Wren

The moon was hidden behind clouds ready to spray the earth with heavy rain. Wren sat in the truck's damp, open back end.  Drizzle enveloped her. The camouflaged vehicles pushed through the muddy ground with only the dimmed lights from the front jeep providing solace. Wren sat in the back, shivering, her tight black jacket doing little to keep out the chill. Silent soldiers surrounded her.

Codey's leg twitched, and his hands refused to stop moving.

She wanted to reach out but couldn't and wished she'd tried harder to make him stay behind. He had no idea what he was in for.

The vehicles could take their passengers only so close to New State. Once on foot, the raiders and military divided into groups for the final leg of the journey to the prison. Wren couldn't help but hear Codey's wheezing breaths as they trudged closer to the gate. By the time Wren's group of four had entered the city, hiding in a dark alleyway near the prison, his exhalation had turned to snorts.

"Focus on deep breaths," Wren whispered, reliving her own training. "Being scared only makes it worse. You have to control it."

Codey nodded and took a couple of deep breaths.

Baxter, Wren's unit master, spoke loudly in her earpiece. Wren could hear him clearly, but even with the streetlights, his black outfit and masked face blended into the walls of the dark buildings.

"We wait until Grounder security takes out the alarms and security system. That leaves Phantoms and possible human security inside. You all reviewed this, but I'm saying it again. Level one shouldn't be heavily guarded. The prisoners are secured at curfew, and the prison goes into lockdown. There isn't a huge need for extensive security at night. It'll take a while for cyborgs and possible guards from lower levels to make it to the upper floors. Get in and get out as soon as the distraction goes off. No heroes."

"For the cause," Zander said.

"For the cause." The voices fortified Wren.

Zander turned to Wren. "We're the backup. No going solo like you're prone to do on raids. We go in after the other two teams and cover them. It's our job to make sure nothing comes up the stairs. Block the doors with the jammers you packed. Make sure nothing gets up. I don't think we'll be the team to come across Codey's family, but you have the images. If you find them, get them out."

Wren narrowed her eyes. "I'm not stupid."

The look Zander gave her said otherwise.

The unit master continued his voice in her and everyone else's ears. "Codex will confirm we have the right people, but otherwise, keep him out of harm's way and away from the fighting. As soon as we locate the assets, we haul ass out of there."

Wren added her voice to the chorus of replies. "Yes, sir."

She pushed a button, checking the digital readout on her wrist that glowed in the fog for a second before winking off. Baxter gave a command, and she moved forward. The prison looked out of place in a city of shining glass buildings and tall, metallic skyscrapers, even if it was located away from the industrial center.

A square box with a dirty chimney, the building belched smoke to create the rancid perfume Wren inhaled. The exterior was dull concrete, cracked, weathered,, and lacking distinguishing characteristics. Wren approached cautiously, pressing her back against the rough wall once she arrived.

Her heart drummed in her ears as she counted from 100. The other units should have made it inside. She allowed her gaze to travel to Codey, who stood beside her. She'd been assigned to babysit, and she and Codey were alone, waiting. She wanted to join the action but crept toward the entrance last with Codey her shadow.

Approaching, she expected chaos and fighting, a battle in progress. Instead, an unnatural quiet greeted them upon stepping inside the now-unlocked building. Nothing stirred. A crumpled body lay in the corner. Wren could tell by the outline that it was human, not cyborg, but little else. It could be New State security or someone from her group. She didn't have time to find out.

Wren did as her training commanded, bypassing prisoner cells; even though she was driven to answer the miserable whines for help, she followed the directions from the blueprints she'd spent days memorizing. With Codey tagging behind her like a little brother, breath in her ear, she found the stairwell. 

How much worse is this for Codey? She wondered. His parents are here, somewhere.

She took the electronic square from her pack and placed it on the door, jamming the lock as required. She took out a knife and stood at the ready. She'd be there to let in any Grounder, but anything else, she'd kill. The waiting tore at her like famine. With adrenaline overflowing her system, she bounced silently on her toes as sluggish seconds passed. She shuffled her knife between her sweaty palms.

Electricity bubbled through the air. Click. Click. Wren heard the sound before Codey and turned toward it.

Bare bulbs provided dim illumination, and the long hallway was bleak.

A Phantom erupted from the darkness with lightning speed, flying in on wings that clipped against the walls. She pushed Codey out of the way and faced hell. The creature was unlike anything she'd ever encountered. The monster was hewn together from sleek metal and wire. Its once human face had lost all mortality. Scars laced the little remaining skin. Wren's eyes traveled upward. The monster was colossal and well-armored. Talons glinted off the light in the hallway. An ungodly shriek rang from its fanged mouth that dripped saliva.

Wren couldn't survive a fight with this cyborg, and Codey would be helpless. They had no option but to run.

"Open the door," she whispered to Codey as the creature flexed its wings before drawing them tight against its back. Wren sucked in gulps of air, trying to reason through the situation. Codey fumbled with the lock as the Phantom assessed her.

"Now!" Wren ran, pushing Codey in front of her.

He skimmed the door, stumbling into her as he did. They slid inside the stairwell as the Phantom struck. The monster's claws scratched at the surfaces and slithered into the opening before she could close the door. She opened the door an inch only to pound it closed against the Phantom's talons. The monster chuckled in response and pried the door open bit by bit.

"The lock. Give it to me." She was frantic as he fumbled it, almost dropping it down the stairwell. Body pressed against the door, she slashed at his talons until they withdrew and forced the lock against the cold metal. It held momentarily, but the Phantom rammed the barrier, dividing them with his body. The door wouldn't stay closed for long.

They were stuck. There was no choice but to head to the lower levels.

"Down the stairs," she ordered.

Codey stared. "My parents. I'm supposed to identify them. I can't leave."

The Phantom thudded against the door with savage intensity.

"We can't stay here. We'll die," Wren tried to keep her voice calm.

"I risked everything to come and get my parents. I can't leave them now."

"The other raiders will find them and get them to safety." She started to pull him after her. "Your parents can't lose you here. Not like this." A sound like nails on a chalkboard came from the other side of the door. A millimeter-sized crack appeared. "Move, move!"

Codey complied, but he slowed Wren's descent, stumbling often.

One flight, two flights, three, four. They reached the bowels of the prison, level five. When there were no more stairs, Wren stopped. Codey sunk to his knees, breathing labored. She let him rest as she pried open the stairwell door. Nothing greeted her but gossamer darkness. She remembered the plans her father had made her memorize. A tunnel led out to the street from this level. They had to find it.

She hauled Codey up. "Let's hope the other team found your parents. We need to get out of here." They entered a rank, mildew-smelling hallway. Wren breached the cobwebs littering the walls and ceilings. Something brushed against her foot, and she held back a groan. Codey's heavy breathing tickled her neck. Keeping a hand against the wet and tacky wall, Wren reached for her flashlight, flicked it on and led the way.