Codex 15111

Codex sat on the couch across from his father. He was staring straight ahead, reading the words scrolling before his eyes, and finishing homework. His father read something technical from work on a tablet—so old school.

Codex hesitated but then instant messaged his father before he lost his courage.

To Dex000572: What are your thoughts on love?

His father, once the message displayed on his screen, turned his face to Codey and sent a message back.

To Codex15111: It's time for the talk.

Codey was horrified.

To Dex000572: No! We already discussed chemical reactions at school in fifth grade.

To Codex15111: Oh ☹. I thought it might be time for some father-and-son bonding.

To Dex000572: Do you agree with New State's position on love and a single child?

To Codex15111: When did you start questioning New State policy?

Part of Codey wanted to end the conversation, but he pushed forward.

To Dex000572: Not questioning. Interested in your opinion since you work for New State but also chose to have a wife and a family. Is that the norm?

To Codex15111: Computer-simulated relationships are gaining popularity, but repopulation will always be needed. It's a person's civic duty.

To Dex000572: Is that why you're with my mother?

Codey's father peered up from the screen on his lap to stare at his son before answering.

To Codex15111: I admit I did consider it part of my duty to marry and reproduce, and your mom was an excellent partner in all respects, but there's more. I love her, and I can't say it's all New State implanted chemical reactions. We've gone through a lot together. While chemicals and hormonal balances have a role, maybe New State missed the mark just a little bit on love. I feel the same for you.

To Dex000572: Aww, shucks, Dad.

To Codex15111: Don't be a smart-aleck, and don't share what I said about love and New State.

Codey smiled as he wrote his reply.