Wren

Later that night, they all attended the final planning session. Mason and Codey sat on either side of Wren, but she wanted to be anywhere but in between them. Zander and Brenna sat behind.

"Hey, tech head, how do you like it here?" Zander asked.

"Fine." Codey's words were clipped.

"Wren showing you the good stuff?" Zander scooted his chair closer and made some inappropriate hand gestures.

"Stop it!" Brenna said as she punched him lightly on the shoulder.

"Just having some fun." He sat back, but his eyes refused to leave the back of Codey's head.

Wren turned in her seat. "Be nice."

"Freak," Zander muttered loud enough for them to hear.

She shot her friend the evil eye and wanted to apologize to Codey but didn't want to read whatever would be reflected in his eyes. How could she ever look at anyone again after what happened? It was somewhat comical, all of them recently released from the infirmary, still covered in bandages of various shapes and sizes, and yet she had just spent hours in a club getting high and kissing Codey.

After the hook-up, he was on a high as well, but with the understanding he'd never have the chance to do it again, he became withdrawn and sullen.

Wren sat like a statue, enduring the stress of both her current situation and the ache of her injuries. It was late when Rafe ushered the planning session into order with the military and the raiders. The wrinkles deeper, stance heavy, he still rallied everyone to the cause after some intense debates.

"Thanks to the files from the archive raid," Rafe said, "our intelligence tells us that its likely New State would be holding Codey's mother at the North Prison. After extracting the boy, his father was reclaimed by New State police.

We were able to access the blueprints and data about the site. I only wish we had more time to plan the attack, but time is of the essence. We don't understand the methods used in the prisons, but whatever they are, I'm sure they're not pleasant."

Wren felt Codey stiffen next to her. She reached out her hand to him, but he ignored it.

Her dad continued. "We are going to put on a show as a diversion. In front of the Capitol Building, we will launch a fake attack, bombing the doors and hopefully drawing the Phantom force there. It will be after curfew, so no citizens should be near or endangered. It will be a risky mission but manageable if we stick to the plan. As discussed previously, it's a volunteer mission. No one is required to risk their lives if they do not want to be part of it. A small contingency of soldiers and raiders will attack the prison a few minutes after the commotion has started at the Capitol Building." He named twelve individuals, including Wren, Codey, Zander, and Brenna. Mason, not on the list, groaned in frustration.

"You're not 100 percent yet. Suck it up," Wren said. "You have to be healthy before you go out and try to kill yourself again."

"I feel fine—just a twinge in the stomach. Look who's talking. You have more stitches than I do, and they're letting you go. I guess being a princess does have its perks," Mason said.

"You perforated your intestine," Wren retorted. "You're lucky to be alive. Stay home and get better." She couldn't be mad at him. She was getting special privileges. Normally, her father would never let her go on this mission, injured as she was. She begged and pleaded, cried and cajoled until he gave in, and only with the promise that she stay in the background with Codey and out of trouble.

Mason gave her the evil eye but didn't say anything.

Wren returned her attention to her dad. He finished up his speech. "I'll meet with the people going to the prison now. Everyone else is meeting over in the smaller chamber with the other leaders. They will go over the plans with you and assign duties."